Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2004 Outback that has only had the strings to the rudder controls tied back together. Thus, they are now too short and our boat mechanic used a fishing equivalent to a zip tie to extend them. Now the kayak is having trouble steering to the right. My wife said that the rudder appears to rise up some when I turn the rudder to the right but this does not happen when the kayak is out of the water. However, when adjusting the strings there does not seem to be a means to have all the strings tight. Either the string that goes to the bottom of the rudder is loose or you cannot raise the rudder. I am wondering if there is a spring or something inside the kayak that allows all the strings to be tight? Or, should I somehow adjust the strings so the rudder is held in place when down and forget about raising it since I simply roll the kayak down to and into the water and invert the wheels so the rudder does not really need to be raised.

I looked for the kit described in the Hobie 2005 "Steering and Control Line Replacement Kit Instructions for Mirage or Tandem Mirage" that I have and I could not find the kit. I think the old part number is 80020001 which is called "Rudder Line Replacement Kit Universal" but when I look for sale I only find the Up/Down line system kit 81391002 and no steering kit.

This old kayak is not worth spending a lot of money on parts. However, labor in Mexico is cheap and so is having a part custom made. There are also only 2 of us and we have 3 Hobie Mirage kayaks so this kayak does not need to be used very often.

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie has been using Spectra line....high tech fishing line that you can buy in a sporting goods store.
I think something around 100 pound strength rating should work no problem.

You just need to tie good knot's so it won't slip. There are a couple of "how to tie" knots you can find on the internet.