Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Proud owner of the Revo 16 and 13. Will be looking to upgrade to the same series. I noticed the 16 is discontinued for 21.
I understand California has restrictions on production due to Covid. Hoping the 16 will be back. Any information will be great.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

The 16 has been around a very long time... The deletion of the 16 has nothing to do with California restrictions. I'm sure we are narrowing the line to the best sales performers. You can't keep adding new products without weeding out old ones and efficiencies are lost on lower-volume production runs.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Very disappointed to read MM. I respect it's a business decision.

I still can't believe those of us who screamed off the roof tops about kayak fishing.
Fishing in platforms from 26"-28" all over the country thru the early 2000's now have
limited choices present day in a pedal craft. Most of us are in our 40's and 50's now and the choices
are heavier, wider, too much volume and its a chore to get down the beach and into the drink. Never
mind car top.

I really hope someone considers bringing the 16 back or selling that mold to someone else.
Hope you keep the Revo 13.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

the riddler wrote:

I still can't believe those of us who screamed off the roof tops about kayak fishing.
Fishing in platforms from 26"-28" all over the country thru the early 2000's now have
limited choices present day in a pedal craft. Most of us are in our 40's and 50's now and the choices
are heavier, wider, too much volume and its a chore to get down the beach and into the drink. Never
mind car top.

I really hope someone considers bringing the 16 back or selling that mold to someone else.

Very true. Kayaks for the kayak fishermen have ballooned into mini-bassboat type craft. The Hobie Pro Angler sort of kicked off that trend!

But things have a way of circling around. Don't be surprised to look back a half dozen years from now and see a return to smaller, lighter more basic fishing kayaks. Maybe...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I hope that happens Tom. I understand Freshwater outnumber Salties 20-1, maybe higher, and that is where the market is at, for now.

The problem with Rotomolded Hulls is the wear and tear. Personally I need replacements every 3 seasons.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The Revo in general seems to be more popular here in WA and OR but I think that's because there are a lot more big-water trolling fisheries. Still, I only see one or two people using Revo 16's. Most are on 13's if they have a Revo.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Isn't the Revo 16 basically the center of and Adventure Island without AKA, AMA and sailing gear?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tedv wrote:
Isn't the Revo 16 basically the center of and Adventure Island without AKA, AMA and sailing gear?

Was, but they changed the hull of the AI and now neither are apparently lucrative enough to continue. I have both (AI in the older hull) and hope to hold onto them for as long as possible.... will be at a loss when it's time to find a new offshore fishing kayak as there's nothing left that's comparable.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

the riddler wrote:

mind car top.

Just wanted to say I totally agree.

Seems ironic production efficiency was given as a reason for its discontinuance, its pedaling/paddling proficiency is exactly why I like it so much. Most of the major brands are all saying similar things with regards to why they're getting rid of their longer/sleeker/faster fishing kayaks. In the past few years I've owned Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160 and Thresher 140, Ocean Kayak Trident 15, and Jackson Kraken 15.5. Every one of those models is now discontinued within the last couple years. And now no Revolution 16 or even Adventure Island, so there's very few choices in that category of faster recreational fishing kayaks.

I also agree with Tom, in thinking that Hobie was a part of creating the trend to heavier, wider, slower fishing kayaks like mini-bass boats. Everyone wanted a Pro Angler to load down with tons of gear. Now Hobie introduces the Lynx and everyone is saying they're changing the industry by creating a trend to lighter, smaller fishing platforms lol. I give credit to Hobie's marketing department.

I'll hold out some small hope that maybe the Revolution 16 will be brought back in the future. Maybe after a new design refresh for the Revolution series. Just add gear tracks to it, modern handles, and maybe a nice rectangular hatch in the center, would make it close to perfect.

Old = 2010 Revo13, 2009 Adventure, 2013 Adventure, 2016 Outback, 2014 Adventure Island, 2018 Compass, 2019 Outback, 2015 Revo13, 2016 Oasis, 2015 Adventure, 2020 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had a heck of a time choosing between a Revo and a Compass, there still may be a 13 in my future for calmer days when I want the speed vs the primary stability, so I hope it's an option for a while. I really can't stand the trend of kayaks that require a trailer, if I've got to deal with all that I'll just buy a dang boat.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Revo 13 with AMA sidekicks. I struggled between Outback and this. I use it in Gulf and inshore. I love what I have. Fast. light and very stable. Best of all worlds. I finally made my decision when I notice so many Revo's like this in Hawaii. I thought Hmmm?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a revo 13, it seems to be the perfect size for cartopping and performance. I love sailing mine, but wish there was an improved sail kit/centerboard for those of us that can't store or transport an island.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

All very interesting.

I was out with my girlfriend this weekend and we both peddled two discontinued Hobie models. I was flying by every other kayaker with my 2020 Revo 16. I call her The Last Revolution. And my girlfriend was doing circles around them with her 2019? Sport with the sailing rudder. I thought I had a good turning radius, the Sport turns on a dime. Both slate blue. I couldn't help think we had the best kayaks in the world.

I love the mad speed of my Revo 16 and how stable it is due to its sheer length and it forces me to take less. I do not even carry a milk crate, just a seat "backpack" with two tackle box trays. It was amazing in the swells in the Pacific and while my friends were lumbering to get back into the marina with their 36in yaks, I was already car topping mine. But then I moved from Los Angeles to New York and needed something much smaller for the tiny creeks and winding waterways present everywhere. Bought a Revo 13 but it had none of the advantages of the 16 and all the drawbacks. It wasn't as fast or stable yet somehow just as heavy and difficult to car-top. The Revo 16 is not that heavy but at 16 feet long any weight is difficult to maneuver. Decided on the discontinued Sport without ever paddling it because at sub 10 feet and a hair over 60 pounds how bad could it be. Turns out it's a go-cart on the water! I take this thing on shallow muddy streams and can car-top it in a hurricane. Now I have the best of both worlds - two kayaks I could not imagine living without and both are discontinued. These will be babied and in my garage for a long time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I’ve had my Revo 16 for YEARS and babied the heck out of it. Ever so thankful because there’s nothing like it. Started looking for a newer boat and a) they’re all shorter and/or b) decked out for fishing. This boat is divine.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I own the Adventure 16 for 10 years now and make distances of more then 10 miles in the Dutch waters. I am not a fisherman, I only want to have a fast kayak to be able to make long tours. Unfortunately I have some problems with my back and would like a Revo 16 with the new chair.
That is not possible know this model is discontinued. I hope that Hobie will come back with such a model and give more attention to the people that uses a Hobie for touring and making long distances.