Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Kirkman wrote:
10 to 11 MPH on a kayak with a trolling motor is suspect.

The reason you won't get a speed increase with a more powerful motor is that the pitch on trolling motor props doesn't require much power to spin under the weight of a kayak. A more powerful motor isn't going to spin the prop any faster than a lowered powered motor.

Now if you had a situation where the vessel you were propelling put the motor under a heavy load and it wasn't able to spin the prop very fast, a more powerful motor would indeed get you more speed as the RPMs of the prop would increase. But most kayaks simply don't tax most trolling motors. The only way we were able to obtain a higher speed was by swapping the common trolling motor props for small RC aircraft propellors. We also tried the prop from a Native pedal drive kayak as it has much, much greater pitch than standard trolling motor props. But it ate battery life very, very quickly.

But don't take my word for it. Play around and see what you can do.

Check this out! https://youtu.be/eHjF5_E6p-M

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Exactly my point. He's got a prop with a much higher pitch, and it pulls so any amps that he couldn't likely stack enough batteries on board to go very far.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Kirkman wrote:
Exactly my point. He's got a prop with a much higher pitch, and it pulls so any amps that he couldn't likely stack enough batteries on board to go very far.

Are you saying it doesn’t make sense to go 24v at all? The weight is about 4 lbs difference and cost isn’t too much either. My main concern was always keeping up with a strong current and/or propelling ahead against the wind/current. I’d like to use this as somewhat of a propulsion besides the spot lock.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It depends on the current draw and how quickly you drain the battery. I might rather have two 12V batteries on board in parallel for longer run times on a 12V motor. We did a great deal of this and never found that we lacked power no matter what we did, when using a standard pitch trolling motor prop. Identical boats, same weight, same conditions and a 24lb thrust 12V motor would run right alongside a 50lb thrust 24V motor. If both motors are spinning the prop at the same RPM's, they will push the boats at the same speed. So unless a motor is unable to spin the prop at the needed RPM, and moving to a more powerful motor will spin it faster, you won't realize any gains from the more powerful motor.

I think you're just going to have experiment and arrive at your own conclusions.

It is also possible that some specialty trolling motor props for lightweight craft like kayaks have come onto the market. At the time we were doing all this the prop selection was pretty limited.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Kirkman wrote:

The reason you won't get a speed increase with a more powerful motor is that the pitch on trolling motor props doesn't require much power to spin under the weight of a kayak. A more powerful motor isn't going to spin the prop any faster than a lowered powered motor.

Now if you had a situation where the vessel you were propelling put the motor under a heavy load and it wasn't able to spin the prop very fast, a more powerful motor would indeed get you more speed as the RPMs of the prop would increase. But most kayaks simply don't tax most trolling motors. The only way we were able to obtain a higher speed was by swapping the common trolling motor props for small RC aircraft propellors. We also tried the prop from a Native pedal drive kayak as it has much, much greater pitch than standard trolling motor props. But it ate battery life very, very quickly.

I think I am going to be building out my own Lifepo4 battery pack. Looking for good cells on alibaba now! Will keep everyone updated on which way I go. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

SurfSlayer wrote:
Tom Kirkman wrote:

I think I am going to be building out my own Lifepo4 battery pack. Looking for good cells on alibaba now! Will keep everyone updated on which way I go. Thanks!

try here for (used) Li batteries
https://batteryhookup.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

winfield100 wrote:
try here for (used) Li batteries
https://batteryhookup.com/

I checked them out before. They have mostly cylindrical cells which won’t fit if I want to do a 24v 100Ah battery. I have to go with prismatic cells which are rectangular and stack nicely together. I can make a 24v 100AH battery the same size as an off the shelf 12v 100Ah battery. Will also cost me the same for new cells. Just sucks that I’ll have to wait like 2 months for shipment.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom Kirkman wrote:
More power will not equal more speed on a kayak.

I've seen and heard this comment so many times and it's just not true at least in most cases on a fishing kayak. More power can and often will equal more speed. Granted the goal shouldn't be more speed but on a kayak a bigger, higher thrust trolling motor often will increase the speed slightly. I've watched too many tests and done it myself to believe otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a PA14 and my Amped Outdoors 12v 55ah fits in the hatch in front of my seat and tucks right underneath. There is lots of room and it keeps your COG low. I had three 35ah AGM's in there before I switched to LiFe's.
Does your PA17 have a similar hatch? You could maybe fit four to get your 24v 100ah.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Swfinatic wrote:
Tom Kirkman wrote:
More power will not equal more speed on a kayak.

I've seen and heard this comment so many times and it's just not true at least in most cases on a fishing kayak. More power can and often will equal more speed. Granted the goal shouldn't be more speed but on a kayak a bigger, higher thrust trolling motor often will increase the speed slightly. I've watched too many tests and done it myself to believe otherwise.

Unless the more powerful motor can turn the prop at a higher RPM than the less powerful motor can, there will be no speed increase.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I decided to build my own 24v 100Ah LiPo battery. Should be exciting! Already ordered all the parts and did all the research. This battery will be the same size that current 12v 100Ah LiPo are. As far as I know, the battery that I am making is not yet being sold on the market. Because I have now solved the battery dimension issue, I will go with the 24v trolling motor. Will keep everyone updated.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’m new to Hobie but old timer in canoes and kayaks. Also fish out of a bigger tin boat that has 24v minnkota ulterra linked with a couple of humminbirds. Amazing setup for following contours, spot lock, cruise control, go to spot, etc..
Following to see your final set up as I could be interested for my PA as well

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’m new to Hobie but old timer in canoes and kayaks. Also fish out of a bigger tin boat that has 24v minnkota ulterra linked with a couple of humminbirds. Amazing setup for following contours, spot lock, cruise control, go to spot, etc..
Following to see your final set up as I could be interested for my PA as well

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

UPDATE:

I have just finished building out the battery. Boy was it ….. tedious work, but nonetheless very interesting! As it was my first time ever building a battery, there were a lot of what I should say “first timer mistakes”. Things like placement is hard to get down packed on the first try if you’ve never done this. Planning definitely goes a LONG way in this process. Everything from parts to buy, to building it out. The end result is an 8 cell 24v 100ah Lifepo4 smart battery with a battery management system that I can connect to via Bluetooth. Ive attached some pictures below. I also am also almost done wiring the PA17 in which I am installing 2 receptacles for the trolling motor, 12v relay switching system to control the trolling motor main power, fish finder, trolling motor heading sensor, and other accessories like usb charging ports.I’ll post pics of all that shortly. Enjoy!

https://ibb.co/T4JCdpq

https://ibb.co/JmqpTfK

https://ibb.co/kKFBnfp

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is a video I just made of the almost complete set-up.

https://youtu.be/rEXRkr1ajIA