Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I currently own a Native Mariner 12.5 and use it yearly on the Greenbrier River in WVa. Due to the depth of the river I can not use the pedal drive unit and paddle it on the river instead. I am looking into the Hobie line with the new Kick Up Fin technology so I can peddle on the river too. This will be used mainly in the slack water sections for fishing and transitioning the slower water more efficiently (and save my shoulders). I know the units are advertised as being able to handle hitting rocks and stumps, but does anyone know if they are robust enough to be drug occasionally over rocks in the shallow sections and hit the occasional shallow rock in rapids (up to class III).

Also, how much internal storage does the Mirage Outback have? I need to carry up to 5 days of gear inside the hull for the trip.

Thanks!
Richard.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Richard
Can't speak from personal experience (still eagerly awaiting mine) but lots of research helped me find this YouTube video by Kristine Fischer. It is titled "Hobie fishing kayaks in SHALLOW rivers (why they are IDEAL)". Great video, I was surprised how tough they are

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Kswim wrote:
Hey Richard
Can't speak from personal experience (still eagerly awaiting mine) but lots of research helped me find this YouTube video by Kristine Fischer. It is titled "Hobie fishing kayaks in SHALLOW rivers (why they are IDEAL)". Great video, I was surprised how tough they are

Checked out the video, thanks for the info! Looks like I may be getting a new kayak soon....