Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello friends and would love some help with a problem.
My 1st generation Passport drive clicks in on the Passport and works great.
But when I put it(with the plastic guide pins cut off) in my Hobie Ills inflatable it keeps releasing on the left side under pedal pressure.
Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Andy

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had a similar problem with my i12s and it's own drive. I can tell you how to diagnose if you have my problem or something else. When I showed it to Hobie they sent new metal latch levers and springs, but that wasn't relevant. Eventually I found the drive axles had enlarged the hard rubber slots that they nestle in. Under strong light reflected the right way, I could see it rattled around in the hole which the drive had pushed forward too hard. It made enough room to push at levers in a funny angle and release one side.

It was nearly new, but I had mashed super hard on the pedals while experimenting with speed sprints in warm water and weather. Maybe that hard black rubber drive well thing was out of spec or not meant for that situation, but it was very serious condition not easily remedied. I would wrap the shaft with tape until the locking lever stayed under tension. Also I made some bridle out of shoelaces which worked better. It both filled the void and held the levers closed I think.

It still would pop out once in a great while, such as when I had to urgently escape a rogue wave breaking offshore. It might be different for you, but close examination in drydock with the drive latched in may reveal if you have this enlarged rubber socket problem which allows release. Then remove the drive and shine a led flashlight beam on the black slot, maybe while you use reading glasses or a magnifying glass.

UPDATE: Now I remember gluing in some filler material into the slot to close the gap. At first it would work great but I had used flexi patch material that would get compressed and distorted and eventually fall off. Also I glued patches taking out the fore and aft rocking of the drive, but I think that was needless. If I did it again I would use hard plastic as fillers and another type of glue. I think that black well liner will not respond to normal pvc glue. Either experiment or look up a recent post here about a new kind of glue for shiny kayak plastic maybe on Amazon.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I remember another cause of this popout out mentioned years ago in this forum. Some drives would rotate the axle (I guess that's a better name than shaft which I used above; dunno the correct term) while pedaling. I suppose it would walk out of the slot due to that, so the fix was to tighten it somehow so it didn't rotate.