Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First post :)

I don’t see a section for the oasis, if there is one, sorry

First time Hobier. Still waiting for delivery. I want to mount the hummingbird helix 7 transducer with side scan. Does the oasis have the lowrance ready plate on the bottom? Or what is the best way to mount? I haven’t purchased the helix yet, but would like to get everything in need in advance :)

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Oasis is not “Lowrance Ready” and has no provision for a transducer. Most of us used some sort of in-hull mounting but that will not work well for side-scan.

Here are details on how I did my Oasis install: https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=59131

There don’t seem to be many Oasis owners posting in the forums. Search for my posts (plfinch) for some of the other mods, installs, changes I have made.

Peter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Plfinch, thanks for your reply. I have read through some of your posts, I am a first timer here and with Hobie :)

One of the options I see is the 79050306 RUDDER READY KIT
Do you know of anyone that has tried this on the oasis? Does it work ok with sidescan?

Many thanks :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have no experience with the Rudder Ready Kit. Looks like it should work though some thoughts come to mind:

1. Side scan imaging will be skewed when the rudder is not straight ahead. Even a minor/slight rudder correction will be significant skew 10 or 20 feet to the side.

2. This will add drag to the rudder, possibly causing it to raise even with the down tee-handle cable tight and locked. If the rudder comes up just a bit it unlocks from the base slot and steering goes screwy. But locking the rudder down increases possibility of damage or at least inconvenience due to bottom strikes in the shallows.

3. This setup will show you what the bottom is like where you have been but not directly under you. With my setup I see what is directly under the forward seat and just ahead of me in the aft seat.

Everything we do to our kayaks is a compromise. If you want side scan imaging, this approach should work and is much less obtrusive and more stable than ram mounts and shafts. This mounting method isn’t an option for me since after 4 years having a Torqeedo/evolve motor on my rudder I will not give that up. But if I found a different and good mounting solution for side scan I might be interested in upgrading my imaging capabilities.

Be sure and post your mods and improvements for us other Oasis owners! One of my favorite mods was replacing the paddle bungee holders with paddle clips (https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=62746).

Peter