Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New kayak dealer issue
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone. I'm new to kayaking and certainly hobie. I've got a situation with a sealer and I'm not sure how to proceed. Last November I purchased a kayak from a dealer here in PA. I asked how long of a wait if I ordered a kayak for it to come in. At that time they quoted about 6 months coming in around May 2021. I thought that was crazy so he pointed me toward a previous year kayak that was new on the floor. It was an Outback camo. It looked perfect and the price seemed decent to new they were $3299 and this was $2650. So I take it home and notice immediately when I finally flip it over that there were a few dents in the hull but I wasn't too concerned as I started researching a lot about hobie now and figured it would be easy to get out and wasn't that bad anyhow. So when I paid for it and they were writing it up and doing the PA registration I asked about the warranty as it was a prior model. They said its under full warranty as it starts from they day it's sold not when it's made and that they would even take care of notifying hobie to register the warranty. So I felt good about it.

So now I'm researching hobie outback like crazy as I got it end of Nov and what else is there to do over winter. I realize that it's not just a prior year model but a 2017 model kayak but still was never sold and was perfect except for the dents of course. Anyhow.... now I notice that the MD 180 they gave me is the 2nd gen version without that little knob that turns at the top of the fins. So I'm feeling good that they gave me a new updated md 180 on an older model. I also figured at this time u better register this kayak myself as now I'm a little put off that the kayak is older but still feel fine as it was stated is under full warranty and so I scanned the sticker on the side and went through registering it with hobie.

Fast forward to today.... I've had they kayak on the water 5 or 6 times and I love it.... its a great kayak.

So about a week and a half ago i look down and notice a crack just forward of the front circular hatch going forward toward to where the drive drops in. It actually starts right under where that little bungie loop is pinched under the hatch. Ots a pretty good crack about 2 1/2 inches long. I'm crushed.... so I read online and hear how amazing hobie is with warranty issues. I call hobie and they verify the date warranty registered and to notify the dealer I purchased through.

Ok... so now I contact the dealer and speak with the owner of the shop.... I'm expecting difficulties since I've now read all their Google reviews and he's a real peach. So he keys it in the computer.... says yeah its under warranty.... and asks questions about where the crack is... do I know how it happened. I say I just looked down and there it was. So he sees I'm over 2 hours away and gives me his email and says send me a pic of the serial # scribed into the side and then some pics of the crack. So I did just that and sent him a pic of my bill of sale as its really tough to make out the set # in a pic.

That was a week ago and I haven't heard anything back yet. I was fearing this as some of the Google reviews aren't favorable of their business. A few days after I sent the pics I went to look at the crack and some very suspicious things become apparent. On the outside the area around the hatch is all very rough but the area very concentrated around the crack is completely smooth. The underside if I put my hand in through the hatch the inside of the kayak is completely smooth except for the area locally surrounding the crack. There's a rigid goopy substance and I feel like I could pick it off with my fingernails but I left it alone. Now I'm crushed even more.

To me it seems like this was cracked prior... maybe on the showroom floor.... and a very professional repair job was made to the point that you couldn't even see it if you looked. Now after some use it has opened back up. I have no idea how to proceed.... hobie warranty only shows warranty for 2019 and newer and this was sold to me new and under full warranty and now I'm discovering its a 2017 which I'm fine with because it's a great kayak. I spent $2650 for this kayak but after all my research they look like they may have misrepresented it from the start. My bill of sale says price $3150 and instant $500 discount bringing to $2650. I don't even think a 2017 cost that much... not until they redesigned the Outback in 2019 did price jump. So I'm feeling this dealer misrepresented and sold me a 2027 for about what they cost in 2027 ad new in 2020. I'm even ok with that providing nothing went wrong with the kayak.

So I'm looking for some guidance. I'm fearing this dealer will not be helpful. I'm planning on calling him tomorrow to say ok... I sent the pics over a week ago... how to proceed. Like I said though I don't have high expectations for this place. I do however have high expectations for hobie. How can this happen and how can I get something done about it. Thanks for hearing me out. Please help.

Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:24 am 
Site Admin

You have it in process. There is an approved claim in the system for a 2021 replacement hull and seat for you.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Way to go Hobie!!

~JOE~

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
You have it in process. There is an approved claim in the system for a 2021 replacement hull and seat for you.

Wow... that is just fantastic. I haven't heard back from the dealer yet, but I am thrilled of the prompt action during these trying times where everyone is so busy. Truly so refreshing that I may have to order a revolution 13 also. So any thoughts on why this happened? I mean it does appear to be a repair on this from inside and out. Maybe they sell so many kayaks and with the 2020 sales boom it just slipped through. Also, do i just continue to use the kayak in the mean time? It appears like it would continue to stretch into the drive well under pedal stress maybe. Mark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:59 am 
Site Admin

This would not have been repaired at the factory and any weld would have been easy to spot. You could weld this and continue using. Or maybe some Dupont DP 8010 on the inside by bonding a plate of PE to it.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
This would not have been repaired at the factory and any weld would have been easy to spot. You could weld this and continue using. Or maybe some Dupont DP 8010 on the inside by bonding a plate of PE to it.

Thanks Matt for your prompt replies. So I figured I'd try to get a pic of the inside of the hull with my phone. Definite signs of repair. I want to see the glass half full in all this. I'm a little uneasy with this dealer honestly. When I purchased it I even asked would it be the one on the floor or another in the warehouse. He replied he would have to check on that. Now I can't logically think why there would be a perfect looking old stock 2017 available towards the end of November 2020 when stock is sold out till nearly mid 2021 let alone any leftover 2020... 2019... or even a 2018 available anywhere. I want to believe it was just an honest mistake.

So now that the process has begun, what kind of timeframe can I expect? Do I have to go to the dealer to swap out the hulls or can it be shipped to my house? The dealer is over 2 hours away. Can it be sent to my house or a different dealer if that's possible? I honestly don't even wish to address the owner directly about the obvious repair. Thanks again for your assistance an any assurance you can offer. I will attach the image of the inside of the hull. Mark

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0gxqlvzmf22xqm8/20210818_173455.jpg?dl=0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

That is a weird one. Doesn't really look like a weld and would have been visible from the outside for sure. Maybe the crack emanated from this area to the hatch?

The dealer would have to be involved in any change of shipping destination. We would not ship it direct as we do need the old hull out of service. A dealer has to take possession of a warrantied hull and scrap it.

They are trying to ship warranty hulls in a matter of weeks.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
That is a weird one. Doesn't really look like a weld and would have been visible from the outside for sure. Maybe the crack emanated from this area to the hatch?

The dealer would have to be involved in any change of shipping destination. We would not ship it direct as we do need the old hull out of service. A dealer has to take possession of a warrantied hull and scrap it.

They are trying to ship warranty hulls in a matter of weeks.

Ok fair enough. That pic of the inside of the hull is after it opened back up. It must have been squeezed together and maybe looked like a scratch on the outside but difficult to notice. Its opened now definitely from the outside and water has definitely gotten in when the bow punched through some big swells from boats wake boarding. I think if I do go out I'll slap a strip of duct tape over it.

I definitely have some concerns. I think they have lots of old models in their showroom. I think even some pre Vantage seat outback if I recall. Is it possible for Hobie to enter the new serial # under warranty registration for me or at least let me know the serial # that shipped? I'm really trying to see the glass half full here and maybe just an honest mistake happened, but I'm also trying to eliminate a scenario where they may have an old 2019 that has been jumped on in the showroom for almost 3 years and they swap that for my damaged hull and sell the 2021 you sent for $3300. Basically I just want to end up with what you guys are intending. Thanks for listening to my frustrations.

Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:08 am 
Site Admin

You will end up with the 2021. The one you have will be scrapped.

Odd they have old stock since boats are selling like hot cakes.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
You will end up with the 2021. The one you have will be scrapped.

Odd they have old stock since boats are selling like hot cakes.

It's been 6 weeks since I initiated the claim with my dealer. I have called them and they have no idea of an eta of the new hull. I've seen a guy post on here not too long before I submitted the claim and he was picking his compass up at 3 weeks. Is there any kind of realistic expectation or something more than just calling my dealer as time goes by? I know they will just tell me they haven't a clue anyhow.

Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

If I'm reading the correct claim... Was invoiced/shipped on 9/9. Check with your dealer (Lancaster?). The seat has not shipped as far as I can tell, but I believe we are caught up on that style, so should be available soon.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
If I'm reading the correct claim... Was invoiced/shipped on 9/9. Check with your dealer (Lancaster?). The seat has not shipped as far as I can tell, but I believe we are caught up on that style, so should be available soon.

Ok thanks for the information. Yes Lancaster is the correct dealer. I will give them some more time before I contact them knowing that the seat hasn't shipped yet.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:

Picked up the new replacement Outback yesterday. Thrilled beyond belief to go from the 2017 to the 2021. How refreshing to stumble upon such an incredible company.... and individual who personifies leadership excellence. I've read many posts now going back a lot of years and you sir are a special kind.