Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I picked up, what I thought was a good deal on two earlier edition Outbacks (2002 & 2006). The 2006 had the drivewell repair on it, but other than that was in good condition. The 2002 is pristine and in excellent condition. The wife and I took out the kayaks this weekend and the 2002 was great. The wife had the 2006 and about half way through trip was having some issues. Eventually, we got back and I took a peek in the front hatch. Low and behold, the cam column was cracked. So, being excited about getting a deal, I didn't do my due diligence and fully understand the years where this was problematic...Lesson learned. At least, this forum has provided ample examples and instructions on how to repair. Hope, I can replicate.

Question on both Mirage Drives, I think these are both V1 models, one that looks like a first generation? but I believe they are both V1, right? Also, on the older looking one, when I hold the pedals at null, one of the fins is off center. What am I looking at here in terms of part #s? Options to fix? As much as I want to upgrade fins, I am fully aware (Now) about the potential repercussions to the drivewell at this point. The 2002 looks great and I believe, based on research, is due to the longer cam bolts. Considering bolstering them anyway. I'll see how my required repair goes first...

Also, the 2002s apparently didn't believe in side carry handles :D . Any recommendations on location? Interior like the 2006 or on the exterior center of shock cord rivets for paddle holder...?

Appreciate any responses! I'm sure the answers are out there, but seeing as this is my first set of kayaks learning the correct terms...