Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bought a used Hobie Mirage Oasis tandem kayak just over a month ago and my wife and I have enjoyed getting our exercise and views from our local bay. And stares at our neighbors as we pedal by. :)

Last week I made a "sling" to hang the kayak under our deck. During the week one of the 4 cables failed and the kayak fell to the ground. Unfortunately, the mirage drives were installed in the kayak and a drive chain was broken. Photos available but I'm not sure how to attach them.

I do not know the age of the kayak, but I do know these are V1 mirage drives. I am trying to keep my repair cost low and was looking to:
1. Buy a V1 drive chain from someone that upgraded to the GT hubs that are available,
or
2. Fix the chain like I have done in the past for a bicycle chain. The chain if a Japan 35 SS (Stainless Steel). I can get a Stainless Steel Master link from Grainger online, but they do not have a stainless steel "Roller Link". (Note that the fall broke 2 links on the chain.) Grainger does have a 35 Carbon Steel roller link but I am not sure how this link would do in our bay.
or
3. Take the "expensive" option and buy the GT conversion kit for the V1 drive.

Advice would be appreciated! Especially if you could point me to a used V1 drive chain assembly!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello what did you end up doing? I think I am in a similar situation?!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, first I found an online site for the V2 upgrade for just 65$. However, its coming from China. Initially they sent me the wrong item. Then the item was lost in transit. Then they said it was delivered, but the tracking number was for the first wrong item. I am still awaiting delivery of the correct item.

Thinking that getting the V2 item from China was a Long Shot, I purchased the following from McMaster-Carr:

1 Single Strand Corrosion-Resistant Roller Chain ANSI Number 35-SS, 3/8" Pitch, 1 Foot Long 6264K84 each 16.32 $16.32
2 (2) Connecting Link for ANSI Number 35-SS Single Strand Corrosion-Resistant Roller Chain 6264K51 each 3.40 $6.80
3 Adding Link for ANSI Number 35-SS Single Strand Corrosion-Resistant Roller Chain 6264K61 each 2.69 $2.69

Merchandise 25.81
Shipping 8.13
Total $33.94

I decided to replace the whole chain. I did not need the "Roller" link. I have a tool to break bicycle chains and I used it on the SS chain. Had to also use my grinder to remove a bit of the steel on one side of the connector rod to make it easier for mike bike chain tool. in the end I ended up with: Cable > Connecting Link > about 6 inches of the new chain > Connecting Link > Cable.

Hope this helps!