Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The kayak is a 2014 Hobie Outback, old, but still going strong.

I am considering installing a fishfinder, but the question is I am using a bixby outboard motor which is installed in the slot where the mirage drive goes.

So if I install a fishfinder and put the transducer in the recess in the hull designed for transducers, the wash from the bixby will go straight over the transducer. Will this be an issue or cause distortion or similar?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The mirage drive slot is the last place I want to install my Bixby or any motor. I have a Revo 11 and use the universal adapter. The Bixby motor sets next to the rudder.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was hoping nobody would say that, because it does not answer my question.

I have the bixpy where it is because that works really well for me, and I would like to keep it that way.

The question is, if the wash from it goes over the transducer, will that cause distortion on the fish finder. Hoping somebody will know.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Not exactly a bixby but I ran a Native Watercraft propel kayak with a tranducer mount built in under the hull similar to hobie, and the propeller motion didnt seem to show up on the fish finder.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My guess... the Bixpy will have little, if any, impact on the performance of a fish finder. My (possibly flawed) logic... air bubbles, not water flow, disrupts readings on a fish finder. And the Bixpy motor/propeller, when deep enough, is designed not to create cavitation.

If you move forward with the fish finder install, circle back and let us know how it worked out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Creekstone I've decided to go ahead and try it cos I can temporarily fix the transducer with duct seal so can try out different locations, I might spend a day on the water just adjusting things to find what works best and where, before doing a permanent install. I will report back after.

But due to work pressure etc it might be a few weeks off so meantime if anyone can add any wisdom please do I am keen to hear it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Google... "fish finder interference trolling motor".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow thanks Oldyaker, there is a wealth of information there. I'll go ahead with the install and a very good article that was found will I think help me get the best possible outcome.

Here's the article just incase it can help anyone else.

https://vexilar.com/blog/2018/10/16/sol ... terference

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 9:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

creekstone wrote:
If you move forward with the fish finder install, circle back and let us know how it worked out.

I did the install Creekstone and you were right, just taken it out for a test run and works flawlessly, zero interference :D .

However before I did the install I did a heap of research, Oldyakers article was very helpful plus I watched a heap of youtube videos, and turns out the interference is less from the water cavitation, and more from electrical interference. So I kept all the Bixpy wires as far apart from the fishfinder related wires as possible. The Bixpy is mounted in the mirage drive slot and the transducer mounted behind in the cavity in the bottom of the kayak specifically to put a transducer, so the transducer is actually in water and not through the hull.

The research I did showed so many things that can go wrong I had convinced myself it wouldn't work, but on getting on the water and turning the finder on, crystal clear image I am super pleased :D. It works at all bixpy speeds with no distortion at all. Even shows fish, I could come upon a school and drop my bait into it and get bites immediately, and could even follow the baited hook as it went down to the fish.

Anyhow super pleased with the install, and to anyone else I would say keep the wiring far apart. I don't know if that is why the good result or just dumb luck, but in anycase I did that as far as it is possible in a kayak, and seems to have worked.