Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Slippery kickup pedals?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Am I the only one whose feet fly off pedals every 5 minutes, unhooking the strap if it is on? This is on a new non-180 kickup drive and never happened on my old GT drive. I think the upper edge of the pedal is less rectangular than before, and my foot can slide down the taper or rotate outwards or I seem to do occasional ankle rolls that puts my reef walkers on the slippery hard plastic edges.

Altho tempted to make some heel straps, I lean toward the total on/off freedom of strapless. I may wrap with some gritty tape made for icy stairs. When strapless I can launch and land in shorebreak without fiddling, and when underway can correct a drifting foot without the sudden popoffs. Maybe accentuated by out-toe physiology, but I think that's fairly common.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Years ago after stealing the heel strap idea from Roadrunner, I made heel straps out of some scrap NRS 1" wide nylon tie down strap material.
It works great and I never had my feet slip off the pedals.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I wonder if magnetics pedals could work? (magpeds)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks, but first I think I will try the simple approach of adjusting fin pitch. Now the cadence is so high my feet are flying all over, and then struggling to stop the stroke before the early stop. I believe the bottom of the fin still has a tension screw that could be tightened for coarser pitch. Years ago there were experiments showing that fine pitch gave more hull speed for some, but I have high torque slow moving type of legs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

yaw_string wrote:
I believe the bottom of the fin still has a tension screw that could be tightened for coarser pitch.

I guess tension is no longer adjustable. I put abrasive tape over the pedals since I want to stay strapless. It looks messy and maybe can cut skin, but will give it a try.

BTW I saw a maiden voyage iT9 video where she was missing a strap too. In my video it looks like every 5 minutes I twist torso to look around, and this rotates one foot outward. Then it wants to slide off along the tapered shape.

It may be a case of me clinging to habits from older drives. I think they had deeper padding as well rectangular shape. I have an legacy pedal pad somewhere, and may stick half of it to each pedal under the arch area.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:30 am 
Site Admin

Fin tension is done by removing the fins and adjusting the head screw (far right end of this image). Back the screw out to add fin tension... less twist.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
Fin tension is done by removing the fins and adjusting the head screw (far right end of this image). Back the screw out to add fin tension... less twist.

Thanks, but if I look at my new kickup non-turbo fin masts that were removed they just look like smooth cylinders with no screw or flattened portion. One end is embedded into grey plastic loop thing. My turbo fins are not at hand to check right now.