Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am relatively new to hobie, but not so new that I don't notice the lack of discussion and quality info here recently. A little sad it may be the end of an era and possibly the end of quality. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This forum slows down in the winter months and especially around Christmas and New Years. Given the explosive growth in kayaking and Hobie sales, things should pick up again in the Spring. But then again, without Matt Miller's daily diligence answering questions and expertly advising folks, and nobody from Hobie really filling that vacuum, maybe folks will just go someplace else for their answers like FaceBook or other non-Hobie forums.

Peter

Last edited by plfinch on Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Noticed the same when I joined up, It's all about sailing kayaks and not so much about paddle kayaks like mine.

I would have thought with all the hobies out there this forum would have been a lot more active. Anyhow, there it is :(

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The forum software here is a huge negative and I'm sure it pushes a lot of users away. Making the forum mobile friendly would be a huge step in keeping the site active.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think forums, in general, are dying off, unfortunately. I had been an active member here for years and even more so on SOL. That SOL Kayak Fishing Forum was a hot bed of activity several years ago, but it seems more people have moved to FB instead of forums. It's a shame because the organization of information and the ability to search is far worse on FB than on these forums. also, the level of discussion and longevity of posts is there on FB.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Exactly right ATV223, I am on a couple of beekeeping forums and they have declined a lot in favor of Facebook. I do read the Facebook ones also but as you say, they are rubbish as far as an orderly thread with an orderly discussion goes, the posts are all jumbled up, and stuff you would like to reference later just vanishes into the ether, where a normal forum it's all there.

Facebook is really about punchy, in the now type conversations that come then disappear. Which suits some personalities but is less good for serious research.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nothing wrong with having both this forum and facebook. This forum has plenty of older posts with helpful information, you just have to search for it. Also , I prefer to access this site with a full browser on a desktop rather than a crippled browser found on smart phones so being older forum software does not bother me one bit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As mentioned earlier, slow in winter months, tons of past information to draw from, many Hobie "how to links available" and except for the nagging Mirage drive 360 issues, there is nothing new that has not been already covered in the last 13 years I have been a Hobie owner and forum participant.

I can't recall the last time Roadrunner chimed in and he is a wealth of Hobie Kayak knowledge. I have "stolen" a couple of really good ideas he has come up with....for me, the most notable was the heel straps idea. I made my straps out of NRS 1" wide, tie down strap material.

After selling my 2010 Hobie Outback and buying my 2013 PA-14, I made one important upgrade in 2014 by adding the rudder boa adjustment kit.
I upgraded the crank bearings and replaced the cables twice over the years. Still using the original GT fins.
It has been a bomb proof kayak and still going strong with lord knows, how many miles I have covered.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ditto with the heel straps. Mine are made from diving fins.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Let’s keep it alive!! I admit to being absent for quite awhile however it is SO reassuring to know this forum is here! Anyone have experience going from the old Revolution 16 (mine is probably 15 yrs old and still fabulous) to the newer Revolution 13? Just can’t perform the same… can it? Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As has been previously mentioned, forums have lost favor to FB. TKF (Texas Kayak Fisherman) was a vibrant forum years ago. It's a ghost town now.

Setting aside the privacy issues, I'm not programmed for FB. It's a confusing mess to me.

lula, I can't speak to the switch from a Revo 16 to a Revo 13. But years ago I made a switch from a Wilderness Tarpon 160 to a 140. I gave up a bit of speed and glide. But turns were easier and handling the kayak out of the water was much easier.

My current kayak, a Revo 13, is my first Hobie (and the closest thing in the Hobie line to a T140). It was actually hard locating one here in Texas. The big Hobie dealer, ACK, went belly up. And the other local Hobie dealer (more of a fishing shop) didn't even order any Revos in their annual allocation. They focused on fishing kayaks; so Outbacks and PAs were all they ordered. I had to do a 10-hour round trip to get my Revo (my first new kayak... a retirement present to myself).

Keep the forum alive! Post! Reply!