Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure the winglet would be effective on the new rudder (in terms of holding the blade down). In fact, the more forward position might very well work against you here. In my thinking, the winglet must be behind the rotating axis of the rudder

I can tell you that it worked better with it than without it. Today I hit 10.8 and was running along in the high 9 & 10's when the bottom of the lockdown hole busted. Bummer because I was loving life and flying along perfectly in control, able to dodge and weave around all the crab pot floats that are set about every 10 sq yards in the bay.

I was able to thread a bunj ball clip through the hole since I had drilled it all the way through. It didn't hold it but did keep it down somewhat.

While the fin was still on it would return to the full down postion after rounding up into the wind. After a couple hours though I noticed it wasn't working as well and lifted the rudder to check it and sure enough half my fin was gone and the other 1/2 was coming off. :(

There has got to be a better way to steer the Island.
gwiz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:11 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Gwiz,

From your earlier posts, it sounds like your rudder problems may have developed over time. If so, I'm wondering if your Twist & Stow mechanism is wearing, particularly at the hook and notch where it should snap in. Here are some pics of a fairly new unit so you can compare:

Hook:

Notch:

Connected in the "lock" position:

Additionally, when appropriately snugged up, it seems like there shouldn't be much or any wobble between the housing and the rotor that otherwise allow it to "walk" out.

Good luck in solving this. Since I'm currently not experiencing this problem, I'm happy not to share your frustration! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My rudder problems escalated when I got a new rudder mount. The lock down holes didn't line up. And yes after just a couple weeks of using it my slot is being buggered up. I am still determined to make it work though. It is just way too much fun not to.

gwiz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have discovered a drawback to the tiller extension mod, a flaw which I am sure Hobie foresaw. It rises above the deck level, which may be a bother when loading upside down on my roof rack. Maybe not too bad, will find out.

Post subject: tiller extension
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the tip Bill. I had been working on the same thing and had kind of given up the idea as it seemed that it would get in the way of your leg/thigh on that side of the boat. Having just read your post, I went right out into the garage and cut a six inch of PVC and notched it. I haven't screwed it in yet, but it looks like it could work. Even if it saves a few inches of reaching, it should make the process more comfortable and allow for better weight balance. And, it's just one thing to watch when loading on the racks. I've already got several additions on the gunwale for the mainsail, jib, side stays and amas - what's one more.

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your post, TJ. I am very pleased with the tiller mod (proud father), as it make the steering very intuitive and easy to reach. I have owned a Monocat and a Hobie 18, plus been around more of the cats, and am continually amazed at the high level of design and engineering that Hobie produce. Nothing else comes close.
Bill