Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:42 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

A couple of months ago I added tennis balls to the cart to keep the dreaded flat spot from happening to the AI. http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=6673

This has worked out well, but has also shortened the cart's reach, making it impractical for the deeper hulled models like our new Oasis.

So I simply extended the reach of the cart so it can now be used to transport all models without fear of piercing the scupper holes.

Here's how:

Materials:
-- 2 pieces, 1/2inch schedule 40 PVC pipe, 3 inches each
-- 2 slip / thread 1/2 inch couplers
-- Duct tape
-- PVC primer and glue
-- epoxy glue
-- sandpaper or file

Procedure:
1. pry off the top cart caps if they are still there.

2. Since the connectors have a slightly larger outside diameter than the cart tubing, you must file or sand them down to match. I adapted a drill to use as a "lathe". When finished, they will fit something like this (note the slight bevel on the top):

3. When done, prime and glue them to the 3" PVC pipes, wiping away extra glue. Take 2 turns around the pipe with Duct tape (= 5 1/2 " long) to fatten them up for a snug fit in the cart tubing.

4. Check your fit and adjust as necessary; then epoxy the extensions into your cart tubes:

The cart cross bar now stays clear of the hull, eliminating your dent problem...

... and properly extends all the way through the hole for a safer, more secure ride for your boat:

You don't need the threaded ends, but if you find the need to extend your cart further later, you can simply thread in whatever you like.

Tip: If you bevel the top edge of your extension slightly, this will help the cart to slide past any ridges inside your scupper holes. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice!

I already put on a set of tennis balls on my trax cart a few weeks ago. Works great to distrubute weight better when rolling around an assembled island. I notched the balls just a little on the bottom so that most of the weight is on the scupper holes but the crossbar does just touch - I figured to displace weight on the bar and the balls.

Well, last week I lost the darn caps to the cart and utilized a very similar solution with PVC pipe & plug and a little electrical tape to snug PVC tube to inside of cart.

Your pics say it all, I never thought to post my lost endcap PVC pipe fix. The threaded end is a nice touch to either add more pipe or a threaded plug - a much better use of PVC fix.

Yakaholic