Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Welcome from a newbie.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just bought a Outback from my local dealer (Taylor Tackle) in Los Angeles. I have to say that it was great fun just making the purchase. I have been on boats my entire life, and around water, so this has been something I have been dreaming about getting for a long long time. My wife was laughing at me since I was so giddy making the purchase.

I want to thank everyone on the board for posting, as I did a lot of reading on here before making a decision. I have to say that it definitely influenced me, along with what looks to be unheard of customer service these days.

I have a prior commitment to go camping and water skiing this weekend, so maybe I will get to test out my new kayak next week. I am thinking a couple of days floating around on it in my pool will get me acclimated and stable. I watched the DVD and am eager to toss it into the pool, just not too thrilled about the lower 60 degree water temp. I have been on a number of SOT kayaks, and due to my size they have been a little wobbly. I am hoping the extra stability of the Outback will make me feel at home.

One Happy camper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Welcome idavis,

I don't think I could buy a new kayak and not use it for a week. My wife and I Purchased a Sport and a Revolution this spring and were on the water less than 2 hours. I think you will find the Outback very stable. Once you get use to it don't forget that a sail kit can be a hoot. I got my sail about 4 month after the kayaks.

Enjoy.
Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Welcome to these Forums, idavis. We have learned a lot here also. Have a great time with your new Yak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks guys. Well, I would definitely be floating this weekend if I hadn't already committed to taking the kids skiing. It's not so bad having to just take out the ski boat, and not go kayaking this weekend. I will drop it in the pool in the meantime and get any balance issues I may need to work out taken care of. I can't wait to get out there and surprise some fish.

I guess I forgot to put my name as a sig.
Isaac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Isaac,
Welcome to the "Dark Side"! Where will you be using your new craft in the L.A. area? As a native Angeleno myself, I am always interested in which parts of the SoCal Coast folks are doing their yaking. I saw several yakers in Newport Harbor on my last trip out there several weeks ago, including at least one fisherman. Here are a couple of happy Hobiers right off the venerable Kerckhoff Marine Lab of Caltech at Newport.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just got back from a cold day on Lake Webb. We were going to ski, but the kids were just freezing, and the rain didn't help. I ended up just testing out the new prop, and was extremely happy.

As to where I will be using the kayak, I do a lot of boating at Castaic lake, and with this will spend a little more time on the lower lake (non motorized). I also plan to check out Lake Elisabeth. I have driven by it many times, and it looks like there might be some fish hidden in those waters. It has a limit of something like 10HP, and is a fairly small lake, so I should be able to spend the entire day just casting around. Same with Castaic.

Not sure I am up for putting it in saltwater as of yet. I did some kayaking out on Catalina with my son's boy scout troop this last Feb. I ended up taking a dip in the pacific and it was kind of chilly. I am perfectly happy sticking to freshwater though. A nice day on the lake suits me just fine.