Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd have more faith in using plastic sprockets if it were not for so many earlier reports of sprocket failures coupled with seeing them crack first hand w/ turbo fins - just last week.

Now, Hobie has been known to "quietly improve the product with little to no fanfare". Case in point being 2 different versions of the hollow crank arms that come with pre-installed pedals. The later being superior to the earlier.

Don't get me wrong, I wholeheartedly applaud Hobie for making improvements.

So, is all this talk about plastic sprockets now being able to work correctly, even with turbos, because of users suddenly figuring out how to install turbo fins? Or, has Hobie made some type of material change in the sprockets?

I have seen a few reports of users having to replace plastic sprockets multiple times until they got a set that seemed to hold up. Not even counting the sprocket versions with incorrect setscrew location.

The point I'm driving at involves trying to figure out what has changed. And, if Hobie makes these improvements - why not come out and say so?

I agree with Roadrunner that, on paper at least, the plastic sprockets should be superior in many ways. The amount of contrary info about the durability of plastic sprockets fuels the theory of multiple versions and materials.

To illustrate a huge variance in materials. (Night & Day)
4 years ago I had all 4 spocket guards fail/wear out on 2 new drives that had only been used a few times (the sprocket guard on the right). Hobie sent me 8 new sprocket guards (on left) that have been on my drives ever since and they have no visable wear after hundreds of uses.

At the time Hobie chalked it up to a "bad batch" of plastic.
I agreed cause the worn sprocket guard almost looked like it was dissolving.

Yakaholic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Assuming your existing drive works, is there any performance improvement with the new drive system?

Would it be worth upgrading?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:42 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

This improves reliability and serviceability but not performance. If your Drive is working well, just keep it in mind in case you need new parts later. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:44 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
if Hobie makes these improvements - why not come out and say so?

We did say so I think... The "improvement" made to the sprockets was to lock in the set screw location. The location had wandered higher and closer to the mast hole which had weakened them. There has not been another change to sprockets that I am aware of.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had caught the post & animated jpg that mentioned set screw location changes & problems. Just curious if anything else changed.

Great! So any plastic sprocket with a correctly placed set screw hole should be a good one.

To be clear, I myself have never broken a plastic sprocket - but then again, I have never used the new drives except once.

Inspired with all the latest success stories I will have to give them a whirl. I really would rather spend the money on getting the newest 'waffle back' drums & cables for last years drives than spending it on SS sprockets & bushings.

I don't mind spending money on parts especially if they improve reliability - hence all the questions about parts & upgrades.

Any word on when the new drums & cables will be available? I assume they will have different part numbers, and will there be a kit of some sort?

BTW I am very impressed at the newest changes to the mirage drive! - Hope to see one up close soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Any info on upgrading would be appreciated.
Are the cables alone replaceable? Checking the spare parts list I could only find the cable and chains listed as one part. Looking at my drive it doesn't look as if it could be done easily -or do you need a chainbreaker as used on bicycle chains?

Post subject: New parts
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:59 am 
Site Admin

I have yet to create the replacement part numbers needed.

I believe a conversion is possible, but I am not clear on some of the possible issues like differences in cranks from older drives fitting or alignment of the adjustment holes.

The chains, idler cable and the drums all have to match (new style). You can not use new chains on old drums and visa versa.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: New Drive Parts
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:12 am 
Site Admin

New Drive Parts

Here are the part numbers for the newer MirageDrive drums and cables.

Drum V2 #81173001 (need 2)

Chain Assembly V2 #81202001 (need 2)

Idler Cable V2 #81203001 (need 1)

Also replace the nylock nuts when replacing cables and chains. #8050111 (need 6)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)