Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Altered serial number
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,
This is my first post, and I must first of all say that Hobie has opened up a new playground for us and we're thourougly enjoying it. :D
One question though, has anyone bought a yak with an altered serial number where the original numbers have been scratched over with different one? :shock: If not, would you buy a new yak with the numbers defaced/changed?
Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mobie:

Interesting ... if not accidental, why would someone go to the trouble of defacing a serial number?

Sounds like it could be a "hot" kayak, aka stolen. Unless from a trusted source, like your mother, I'd steer away from it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:58 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
If it from a dealer it's okay. Manufactures have the ability to change serial numbers before they reach the retail customer. It could have been a simple mistake, how many time have you wrote 07 on a date the 1st few months of the year. There is no problem with it I see it from time to time from the factories of all the brands I carry.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The month of manufacture was also changed.
Was it perhaps a way of selling an 07 model at 08 prices? And would you Sunjammers, be happy with a product having a defaced serial number?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dear Mobie,

Manufactures from time to time have to re-do serial numbers for a number of reasons. Sometimes in production we find two kayaks with the same serial number etc. Sometimes we get the month wrong when we engrave. This is an example for possible changes.

We also had a model change during the season which did not / does not do anything to the kayak and does not "deface" anything.

As for selling 07's at 08 prices, many kayaks went down in price depending on model etc. in 08' in Australia.

If you have concerns, by all means, rather than a forum, why not contact us direct in Australia? Hobie Cat USA and Hobie Cat Australia are the same company.

Can you please contact Mr. Gordon Mc Gillivray on 02 44 418 400 ext 200 or email: [email protected] your details and we will contact you.

We are happy to looking into this for you so your happy with Hobie product.

Regards,

Steve Fields
Managing Director
Hobie Cat Company - Australasia PL

Post subject: Altered serial number
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your helping hand. I have just sent you an email outlining my situation.

This is the only Hobie forum online (with a great bunch of members :D ) hence my only means of gauging the communities' feelings on owning/purchasing a yak with a defaced serial number.

I would appreciate continued feeback from fellow members.

Regards
Arthur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:47 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Arthur, welcome to the forum! What a lovely waterpark you have down there in Australia. Best of all, it appears to be conveniently located and quite accessible for the community!

It is quite observant for you to notice the Serial # alteration. You weren't specific about the details, but if you are purchasing from a dealer and there is a choice (all other things being equal), I would avoid the suspect boat and choose another. But if that is a special deal one-of-a-kind, I presume it comes with a financial incentive. In that case, I would simply ask the dealer for a letter authenticating the alteration so when you sell it later, you'll have a good explanation for the new buyer.

If, on the other hand, you are buying from a private party, I would ask for that explanation. Further, I would write or e-mail to the local police department and inquire whether there have been any reports of stolen Hobie kayaks. If this were a "new" boat, it would almost certainly have been reported by the local dealer or known by Hobie Australasia. Keep a copy of this correspondence for your files. If there are no red flags, you should be able to buy the boat with peace of mind.

I inadvertanly bought a stolen bicycle once. The police depart verified that it was stolen and immediately suspected me as the thief. Fortunately I had documentation. They confiscated it anyway and I was able to re-purchase it later from the insurance company. Not the greatest deal as it turned out.

So I think you are wise to look into this! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:lol: Roadrunner...It's a shame the adventure park only lasted two days whilst we were stranded in a small counry town. Seriously, we've been having record braking flooding over 30% of the North/Eastern coast since the new year and still going to now in the North. Most affected areas have been declared a natural disaster to facilitate help.

I prefer to keep the thread general at this stage and thank you for the good advice.

Also, I'm sorry to hear about your bike. It's a great example!

Regards
Arthur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you are purchasing from a private party I would avoid it with an altered serial number only because it could have been stolen. If is is from a dealer...who cares? It floats; it is in good shape; the dealer backs it up. I'd purchase it from a dealer with an altered serial number but not a private party.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

My dilemma is now resolved, and will be pedalling carefree this long weekend. My first beach adventure- can't wait! :D

Regards
Arthur