Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So I realigned my rudder and will retest turns to port vice starboard later this afternoon, but two more questions come to mind....

The setscrew on the ST Turbo fins. How loose should it be? Right now I have it set to I can barely see a crack of daylight between the support and the fin at the aft end (where the screw pulls the fin up into the support or lets it go down).

Is there a big different here? How loose would be too loose, I was playing around with it yesterday on the water (love that you can do that) and noticed you can let the back end come completely out of the support, which lets the front end drop pretty far down the mast too.

Second question: Popping noise. This happened maybe once or twice on the old standard fins if I was peddling for all I was worth, i would hear a "pop" that sounded like (and felt like) the chain was skipping a sprocket). Now I notice is much sooner with the ST fins (at least at my current tightness setting). If I even try to get to my normal cadence, I start getting a pop on the left fin (pedal) that again sounds and feels like it is jumping a sproket?

I have strong legs and like to power up for sprints to see how fast I can go, or if I need it, I have to power through some nice 4knt currents sometimes, and I need the pedals to be reliable.

Thanks for any advice or thoughts on these issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Might read this link and see if that helps any 8)
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=6418
Kepnutz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ill try going through that again. Right now, if I pedal hard, there is the pop and slippage at the end of each stroke, its not the fin slapping against the hull.

Question, the front fin has no independent side to side movement but the rear fin does.

Ie, if I hold the pedal arms even with each other and do not allow them to move, I can grab the foward fin and try to move it side to side and it doesnt move, it tries to move the associated pedal. I grab the aft fin and it moves a little before the chain tries to move th associated pedal.

When doing the alignment checks and it says 1/8th inch movement, is that with moderate pressure and really just an 8th? might be whats wrong with mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tightened up all cables today. They all seemed like they might have been a little loose, will see what the drive does this afternoon, but if it keeps skipping a beat then it might be warrenty time.