Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Finally capsized my 2022 Passport 12 after many great and positive sailing days in the waters of Coronado Bay. I thought I was prepared for this happening and thought that my 15 years of sailing experience on Dinghies would allow be to Right the Kayak and re-enter the boat safely without any issues. Boy, was I totally wrong on the process to re-enter this very light craft. As always, I was wearing my PFD, had the Hobie Kayak Rescue lines deployed and kayak righted before my attempted re-entry. As simple as the re-entry looks on You- Tube... its not.
The problem that I was having at my 200 lbs. weight class, was that the rescue strap was just pulling the kayak upward and toward me and not allowing me to flatten my body and belly onto the deck. Luckily I had my paddle and a unused stored Orange Type II PFD on board to use as the paddle/floatation device as my secondary choice. With several attempts, I realized I needed more deck space and removed the seat which allowed for better paddle and float placement to obtain the needed leverage.
I now carry a blow up NRS paddle float and have installed the Ama Sidekicks for additional stability and re-entry.
Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
In my opinion, the blow up paddle / flotation device is my first choice for a successful solo rescue.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Same here! I am a little lighter and didn't have official straps, but had fashioned a rope with foot hold and only managed to get on once of several attempts while practicing (fresh, not tired). Same situation - so light afraid boat would tip and knock me out before I belly flopped on deck.

I hate to buy even more gear, but the paddle float is a good idea, thanks.

And I would also like to hear any more solutions

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I went out to the lake and jumped out about 15 times. The key for me was having my legs float horizontal( not dangling vertical) before trying to re-enter. Made it much easier for me at least

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

flyrcairplanes wrote:
I went out to the lake and jumped out about 15 times. The key for me was having my legs float horizontal( not dangling vertical) before trying to re-enter. Made it much easier for me at least

just getting back to see this but thanks - legs horizontal makes sense!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The H-bar will help countervail your fall.