Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is it possible to put the beach wheels on the heavy duty cart or are they too wide for the axle? I already have the heavy duty cart but could use the beach wheels once in a while. If it's possible, I would much rather just buy the beach wheels and use them interchangeably. I'm pretty sure I'm out of luck but wanted to make sure. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:46 am 
Site Admin

Too wide for the axle.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jarrodmo :
We have kayak scupper carts with both the grey beach, and the HD (black foam filled) wheels (we bought the trax II beach cart, then added the HD wheels later). The beaches down here in Florida are very soft pure white sand (like granulated sugar) and very deep when dry. We found that even the grey balloon tires are not able to get us across soft dry sand. Actually the grey balloon tires ended up just sitting on our garage never used. The HD tires IMO are superior on every surface except very soft dry sand. However the improvement from switching over to the grey beach tires didn't make enough difference to make it worthwhile even trying to use them. We have a Tandem Island and I cannot drag my fully loaded TI across the 1/4 mile or so to get it to the waters edge ( I've tried many times) even with beach wheels (though I have not tried the 30cm wheels). What we do instead is either leave the boat on the trailer and walk the trailer down to the beach with the TI on it (which actually works well), alternately we take the AMA's off and walk the hull only down to the beach, then carry the AMA's down separately, this also works well, even with the HD cart, we then re-assemble the boat at the waters edge.
My opinion is you already have the best all around tires, if you encounter very soft dry and deep sand just take the scupper cart out altogether and drag the hull across the sand (that's what most people do down here anyway (way easier)), then put it back in once you get to the parking lot or hard packed sand.
Hope this helps
Bob