Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am new to hobie 16s and restoration of them. I bought an 83(or so I am told by the previous owner) hobie 16. I am working on getting the decals and pinstripes off and repainting or regel-coating it. The previous owner did some work to it to try to get what he thought was old pain off of it as parts of the boat are flaking.
The hull has some green patches that are under the light blue "overcoat." Is the green color gel coat and the blue paint? It seems like a completely different layer for some reason. Any help would be appreciated greatly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

austinlv wrote:
I am new to hobie 16s and restoration of them. I bought an 83(or so I am told by the previous owner) hobie 16. I am working on getting the decals and pinstripes off and repainting or regel-coating it. The previous owner did some work to it to try to get what he thought was old pain off of it as parts of the boat are flaking.
The hull has some green patches that are under the light blue "overcoat." Is the green color gel coat and the blue paint? It seems like a completely different layer for some reason. Any help would be appreciated greatly.
The Model year should be easy to decipher from the hull number etched into the transoms just above the top rudder gudgeon (mount). Read about it on the Hobie Support Archive here.

For removing decals or pin striping, I've used a flat razor blade (in a blade handle) and slowly/gently worked to scrape them off. Follow that up with 3M adhesive remover and you should be pretty good. Really stubborn adhesive residue will come off with acetone.

Not sure what to make of your "flaking" comment and the different paint colors / layers. Maybe some pictures would help us.

I did a complete gelcoat restoration on my '84... it was slow and laborious but it shines like a new boat now. Sanding with 800 grit, then 1200 grit, followed by an orbital buffer and Meguires #49 oxidation remover. Always start with the least aggressive product for your needs though.

2012 H16 (with 2018 Cayman Main) #115139

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:19 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The only hull colors being made in 1983 were white, yellow and blue.

A green boat is from the early '70s. I think the boat is older than you think.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking for some help restoring a 1982 H16. The pontoons have "yellowed" but in great shape and would like to whiten them up. Any suggestions and/or advice? Thanks. D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This video may help:

Hobie Catamaran Oxidation Removal by Surf City Catamarans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74sEyot5A_o

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL