Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would like to add a tongue extension onto my EZ Loader Getaway trailer (sailing in freshwater out of Calgary). The current tongue is 3" x 3" galvanized box beam, wall thickness is noticeably less than 1/8", possibly 3/32" but I suspect it's 1/16" plus a bit from the galvanizing. I would like to add a telescoping tongue extension to keep my wheels out of the water at the ramp as I've had problems with water in the trunk. Everything is bolted rather than welded so that helps.

My idea is to unbolt the coupler and skid from the tongue, giving me a long stretch of clear interior back to where the side arms join the tongue (which runs all the way to the back). I'd also have to pull the wiring for the lights out, probably stick them in a length of conduit along the outside. Then I could slide a length of 2 3/4" box beam down inside the 3" tongue, with just enough sticking out to bolt the coupler and skid onto (with a shim if necessary for a snug fit). Then I would drill a couple (one's probably enough, but just to be safe) of holes through both the outer & inner layers and stick hitch pins through them to lock the inner beam to the tongue.

When I want to telescope it for the ramp, I could pull the pins out, slide the inner beam out, and then reinsert the pins into a second set of holes to lock it again.

The trailer is pretty light, I can manhandle it (with boat) on flat ground when hooking up, and tongue weight is probably 50-75 lbs with the Getaway on it (haven't weighed it but I can lift it fairly easily).

Is there any reason why this would be a bad idea? With the tongue in driving position the only real difference from the current setup would be about 4-6" of extra tongue length, and I'd use the original coupler attached with the original bolts. Between the multiple hitch pins to tie the extension into the tongue (which it rides inside of), and setting the chains so that they attach to the original tongue (not the extension) I can't see this raising any safety issues as long as I don't drive around in the extended position, would you agree? Have any of you done anything like this?

thanks

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If you haven't already done your modification, Harbor Freight sells trailer hitch receiver extensions for like $25. Just take your hitch out, slide the extension in and lock it in as usual. You just need the extension and another hitch pin.