Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have decided to restore #534 but I need some advice. I've owned several mono-hulls in the 20' category but this is my first cat.

I have researched the construction of the Hobie 16 but the one area that I have not been able to find is how the decks are constructed. The foam/fiberglass lam in the hull sides of both hulls is good and sound (except for one bullet hole - not that hard to fix, go figure) but the decks have a couple of soft spots so I am wondering about the best approach to correcting the situation. I am not opposed to cutting in, removing the bad spots and rebuilding the structure, if that is the best approach. But I would really like to know how the deck is built before I tear into it.

Could some of you who have been to the nether regions of the interior of the Hobie 16 hull help me with this? Sure would appreciate it.

Bob Johnson
Lufkin, TX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is a cross section of a hull:

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

Last edited by Tim H16 on Thu May 13, 2021 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow Tim, not what I was expecting at all. The foam in the sides is not nearly as thick as I thought it would be and I didn't expect the foam laminate in the deck at all. Thanks for the cross-section picture, it really answered a lot of questions but it raised one. Is that just a big open void on the inside of the hull or it filled with a foam block of some sort?

This boat is going to be strictly for "beach play", so I'm not worried about weight. However, I am concerned about flotation. This is going to be a "learning" boat for the grand kids and young people (under 30), all "newbies" so I worry about them.

This boat has been stored outside for the past 20 years. The trailer was last licensed in 1998.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is a foam flotation block inside the hulls between the pylons. The rest of the hull is just open space. You can actually see the block in the background of the picture above. It is sticking out of one of the chopped up hull sections.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

SM - Thank you very much for the info. I see the foam block you are talking about and I am a little surprised at the relatively small amount of flotation given the available space for it.

Anyway, between you and Tim I feel much better about doing the deck repair that I have to do. It's a shame that honeycomb reinforcement materials were not considered for the hulls. Much stronger and delam is not much of a problem.

Thanks again. JZ