Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hull Covers
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Made some 'banana peel' style hull covers. I have been going year to year on cheap tarps but wanted to get something better after I got a solid 14 to replace my old delaminated one. This is my 14, also have a 16 to cover this winter. Both boats sit year round mast up on the beach and the sun here can be fierce. I cover the tramp with a simple heavy duty truck tarp. The beach wheels usually sit under the tramp. I used sunbrella marine grade fabric, the 46" width was perfect to go round the hull at its widest point. I just trimmed it at the front and rear, made slits to slide it over where the pylons are then hemmed all round and added buckles/webbing and velcro at the pylon slits. Sailrite have an offer on so it was only $16 a yard instead of $22. 10 yards of fabric, webbing, buckles and basting tape all came in at under $200. Not too much fuss to put on - if you do it before it comes off the wheels. I'm a sewing novice but made a decent job of it as there really isn't much complicated in it. Hardest part was reinforcing the area around the pylons. Still have enough material to add a couple of simple rudder covers too.
Here is my sketch up of dimensions (Hobie 14) and a couple of photos.