Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Catamaran community,

I have a Prindle 19. When I tack, the slack on the jib line gets caught under the mast and prevents the jib from swinging to the other side of the boat.

What this looks like: The mast sits on a spherical plastic piece on which it also rotates. This plastic piece is mounted to the perpendicular aluminum cross beam. When tacking, I loosen the jib sheet and the jib starts to swing over, but the jib line gets caught between the very bottom of the mast, the part which makes contact with the spherical plastic piece, and the crossbeam. In fact, theres a mechanism on the mast there that's used to help take the mast down, if you need to, that catches the jib line. This is located at the bottom of the mast and really can hook onto that jib line.

If there's crew on the coat with me, they can reach up and untangle the jib line, though it's a pain in the ass. If I'm by myself, I have to leave the stern of the boat, let go of the tiller, untangle the jib and go back. I got into an accident like this recently.

Can someone recommend a modification to the jib rigging? The jib is not self-furling. It's the type with a zipper.

Or, will someone recommend a self tacking jib system that I can rig up to the Prindle 19?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:11 am 
Site Admin

A triangle of bungee. Starts on the striker to one side of the mast... 1.5-2 foot out maybe then up to the diamonds... across the mast to the other side and down again to the striker. Medium tension keeps the sheets from dropping into the mast base area.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)