Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: T2 Parts
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm looking for the mast step ball for a 2016 T2 - the threads are totally stripped on the original and the ball just popped off the post as I was derigging today, while deciding whether to go back out in 18-22 mph winds - maybe that was fortuitous!
The European catalog says it's Part #21062673. This is different from the Wave/H17 (#50212301) ball and from the Getaway/H20/H21 ball (#30110001) which US dealers seem to have.
Specs are 5/8th inch diameter threaded hole with (almost) 1.5 inch diameter ball.
Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Post subject: Re: T2 Parts
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I found this page when I searched for that part number:
https://www.murrays.com/product/50-f21062673/

Your experience obtaining this part will be watched with great interest by your fellow T2 owners who are wondering how it will go if/when parts are needed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's the same as the Tiger, I had to get one 2 years ago. My mast base broke this last weekend, Hobie has 13 for manufacturing in the US and pulled one off the line for me. I hope to have it by next Friday.

79' H16 Green Lightning

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks a lot all - I actually found the Murrays-listed one last night, and ordered it assuming my best bet was to go with the part number, which is used across a few (discontinued or European) models (Fox, Tiger, Tatoo, one other I don't remember; nowhere was a T2 application listed among sellers here or in EU). Great to hear from Buxton confirming this choice! Being in the PA Rust Belt, I was also contemplating the practicality of a local shop making a stainless steel or solid-aluminum version!
I plan to snug the Murrays' replacement so the ball sits fully seated on the threaded part of the dolphin striker post as no air gap at the top of the post should take the stress off the threads - I'll also use either Gorilla Glue or Loctite-Blue to further restrict future loosening - I think that was the problem - a not-fully tight ball allowed all the mast weight to shear the ball threads so the ball just fell off the post during mast lowering. I'd had a "tight mark" on the post, but neglected to check it during these first three sails of 2018. Luckily I use a short line to the striker as an emergency safety during raising/lowering because the ball once squeezed out of the base past the lock-pin. Thanks again!