Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Friday after work, I set about changing over the T@ to a H16 mast and mainsail. I don't know if anyone has measured their mast but the Hobie spec that came with my boat as well their website, says it's 24' 7.3" So imagine my surprise to find the mast is 26' 6" long?
Say what? That's identical to the H16 mast I have? I got both masts together and matched them up, the only difference is the height of the feed channel for the bolt rope, it's about 6" higher on the T@ mast. That means the only thing required was to....
HOIST THE SAIL Now, my judgement is based on just one day so far but I want others involved, this is the boat, I think, we all wanted.
We had a weak winds this weekend with only 7mph yesterday and none today but I really feel great about this upgrade. Now keep in mind, the sail I'm using has a bad bolt rope so I couldn't get the downhaul more than 4" but in what we were sailing in, the T16 kept pace with the H16's with no problems, side by side, windward, leeward, front or rear and I'm only using the factory jib. In fact, because the T@ can tack on a starfish and give 4 points back, the T16 was faster than the H16's at getting around and moving.
So this is it! I haven't felt this good about a boat in a long time. Measure you mast and if it's 26'+, borrow a friends 16 mainsail for an hour and you will see for yourself. It should also be able to be fitted with either the normal H16 jib or the furling one.
Because the mainsheet now angles backwards to the H16 boom (Better control of mast rotation), the lower block on the mainsheet interferes with the tiller crossbar stick connector. I spun the bar around so it also pointed backwards but it needs a better solution.
I really hope others will try this but it may wipe out the H16 market if Hobie ever brought it out. I figure the originals sails will be saved for heavy wind days when it needs powered down and getting a new set for it. I really hate to give Hobie more money for a new sail that should have at least been an upgrade option, again in my opinion.... I just had to change the rear graphic today after washing her down.

79' H16 Green Lightning

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

:D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i never paid much attention to the published lengths, but I do remember reading something somewhere that the 16 and T2 masts were basically interchangeable if you swap the base.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

drill out the rivets and move the boom bail forward

and then buy a H16 SuperR pentax sail for it :twisted:

Looking forward to your report of what wind speed you trapeze

Sheet In, Max Out

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Certainly sounds promising. I am looking forward to hearing more. If it truly proves to be the holy grail, it is good to know all we need to do is keep our eyes open for an H16 sail and boom.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

buxton, i see you have your Gen pole attached, but not the Gen. How'd that work out for you? got any pictures with the Gen attached/unfurled? I have been considering adding one for the light wind days here. although lately it's been me sitting out because I couldn't get crew on short notice after work and it's been too windy for solo, even with just the main.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

coreboarder wrote:
buxton, i see you have your Gen pole attached, but not the Gen. How'd that work out for you? got any pictures with the Gen attached/unfurled? I have been considering adding one for the light wind days here. although lately it's been me sitting out because I couldn't get crew on short notice after work and it's been too windy for solo, even with just the main.

I'm not sold on the Gen yet, I get my best results from it if I furl the jib. Sailing solo, you have to add the switch over to your tack, furl in and out with each one. The blocks that come with it don't have cleats so you have to hold the sheet along with the main unless you change them. I bought a set to match the jib and that helps a lot. Would I buy it again? No. I'd spend the money on a 16 main and jib. I can get you some photos of it, maybe make me an offer?

79' H16 Green Lightning

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The T2 board has been too quiet. Hopefully due to the fact that everyone is out sailing instead of sitting at their computer. Anyway, any update on your T16 development buxton? Should I be shopping for a good H16 sail?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm on vacation until Friday with another week off, I have a new set of Tortola sails # 114920 waiting at home. I need to move the bridle wires forward to the handle holes with Dyneema shackles to make the jib work and I'd like to make it a furling one too. 4"o.d. pipe fits the hole snug so I'd like to add a spreder bar up there some how. I'll add so photos when I get home.

79' H16 Green Lightning

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I want to see a T2 sail on H16 hulls. Can you do that?

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just curious, anyone sailed a T2 with the rig change with a H16 to observe the performance difference?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I totally agree with your modifications to the T2.
First was the boom addition to the original rig.
I'm sure greatly it improved the shape of the both the upper and lower parts of the sail.
Much like an H17 setup.

Then the change from the T2 rig to the H16 rig.
I'm not at all surprised at the results.

I have speculated about changing out the T2 rig with a H17 rig, adding both a furling genoa and an asymmetric spinnaker.
A Hobie 17 kills everything upwind in heavy air.
Adding and genoa and spinnaker makes it a go-fast boat in any conditions.

I have also speculated about the possibility of modifying Getaway wings to fit the T2 crossbars.
Are the end caps of the T2 crossbars aluminum or plastic?
I would modify the wings to sit lower and wider than what you see on a Getaway.

My problem is I don't want a used boat, and they discontinued the H17 long ago.
I hope to make a T2 perform like an H17.
Now, if I can find a new T2 somewhere...

Rick Whitehurst

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

H14#2800 wrote:
First was the boom addition to the original rig.

Boom is H16 add on.

This boat is a blast now that I've converted it over to the full 16 rigging. Image and I got the jib placement perfect on the first try.

In heavy wind I'm running with the fastest 16 and 18 on our lake, they're off to the right in this video.
I still have some room for more mast rake, my blocks are about 8" apart right now but I'm not really a speed freak, most of the time I like to fly up on the edge of tipping and a straighter mast helps with that. I'm still working on my flying, it looses helm control sooner than the 16 did because I can sink the stern and rudder as deep in the water so it's taking a little more mainsheet action to keep it from rounding up.
Still not as high as she'll go so I'm really looking forward to next season to really get it perfect.

I think a wing add on would be easy, the crossbar end caps are just plastic covers held on with 4 screws

79' H16 Green Lightning

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've noticed in your latest youtube sailing video you state you changed boats and acquired a Getaway?

Out of curiosity, do you still have the T2 and how does it compare to the Getaway.
I'm considering going the opposite direction from a Getaway to a T2.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

No, I still own the T16 and love the boat, best Hobie I've owned. Adding full length keel strips was icing on the cake. The T2 was Ok but now that I use the 16 sails, I can run even with the 16's and 18's. It will loose helm control and will round to wind sooner than a 16 when flying a hull (Height related) so I'm working with mast rake to see it that helps.
I found the T2 jib almost useless, it has a very small working area nor did I like the change in main sail shape every time you move it because it has no boom.

But in the end I would recommend it t anyone.

79' H16 Green Lightning