Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: T2 vs 16
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

For those of you that have purchased a T2, can you give me an idea on how they compare to a 16.

I don't race so speed is not my main concern. I like to fly a hull across the lake as high as I can for as long as I can, both sitting on the side of the frame rail or on the wire. I'm known at our locale lake as the guy with a crooked boat because I'm always on the edge of tipping. We travel to a lot of lakes in the eastern US and I really want a rotomold because more and more shore lines seem to be covered with small rocks and gravel. I'm tired of carrying around pvc and worrying about my fiberglass hulls. Wanting something more durable and getting to see a T2 at a dealer a month ago I'm want to buy one. It's just me and my girlfriend so I don't need the capacity of the Getaway, I think the square top sail makes up for some of the extra weight and less sail area. I also like the thought of the furler jib.

And now that you own one, would you buy it again?

79' H16 Green Lightning

Post subject: Re: T2 vr 16
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you study the weight versus sail plan on both boats I'd say that the H16 is likely to offer a bit more overall performance than the T2. On the other hand, the T2 wouldn't be terribly far off and would certainly offer more durability and margin for error.

Post subject: Re: T2 vs 16
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't own a T2, but I think they are really cool boats. One thing you may want to consider though is the repairabilty of the fiberglass 16. You mentioned the boat getting dinged up and scratched from small rocks and the like. You can fill in scratches and re-do bottoms on the fiberglass 16. I'm not sure you can do the same with the roto-molded hulls. Perhaps they don't wear nearly as fast as the 16 though, but then again I do tend to take a sled ride up the beach from time to time :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The roto-molded plastic hulls do scratch and scrape, but it's of little concern. You'd have to drag one down the highway for a few miles to wear through the hull. You just use them and keep on going, and going and going.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've had a T2 for about a year now, and I am really happy with it. Sounds perfect for what you want to do with it. I would definitely buy it again, for what that's worth. It's fast and fun and compares favorably with a 16 in my opinion. Different than the 16 but a lot of fun. Speed wise a MUCH smaller difference than I expected.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jmr wrote:
I've had a T2 for about a year now, and I am really happy with it. Sounds perfect for what you want to do with it. I would definitely buy it again, for what that's worth. It's fast and fun and compares favorably with a 16 in my opinion. Different than the 16 but a lot of fun. Speed wise a MUCH smaller difference than I expected.

Now that's the stuff I want to hear!!! I do boat repair and tuning as part of my business http://www.buxtonsimport.com/catamaran-repairs.html and get to see a lot of abused boats so I'm pretty anal when it comes to taking care of mine. I never run up on the beach or drag them across the sand if avoidable, after 4 seasons my 16 can still pass as showroom condition. I'll still be that way with a T2 but I look at how well the kayaks hold up year after year and keep thinking Rotomolding is the way to go. You just never know when a rock will take a chunk out of the gel-coat or glass. And again, I just want to be able to keep her on the edge of tipping and I sail solo 80% of the time.

I've already taken a deposit on my 11' 16 and she'll be going to Chicago in Feb so it really looks like a T2 is in my future. It's just a matter of when, I still have a 79' 16 I can use for now but if I hear more replies like yours, I'll be picking one up by April. Our locale dealership is closing up for retirement after 30 years so I will have to travel a little bit to get one but that's fine.

79' H16 Green Lightning