Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a question about the mast stepping pin. The instructions refer to a securing bolt (p 21) but the small parts bag has a stepping pin instead, like the one on the Wave.

The pin is about 1/4" or 6mm but it will not go past the mast ball. A smaller bolt about 1/8" will. I've checked to make sure the mast base is seated firmly. It is. Am I doing something wrong? Or is the pin too big? Is the mast ball too large? The mast ball does look a bit large.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Europe provides a bolt n nut - but we like the pin here in the US. The issue it the hole in the mast base is metric and slightly too small to fit our pin. We have since fixed that situation but drilling the hole slightly larger in production. Sounds like you have a mast base that wasn't drilled out yet. So that is the solution, run a drill bit through the step hole and the fin will work perfect. Your dealer can do that for you under warranty if it's not something you feel confident doing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The pin size is not the problem. When the mast base is off the mast ball the pin fits fine. It is the mast ball that gets in the way of the pin by just a slight amount and a bolt would hit it also. I was wondering if the mast ball comes in different sizes and I got the wrong size. If the mast ball is correct, then the ears of the mast base are slightly too short. Or, the socket in the base is not deep enough. I noticed some left-over metal inside the base that could be stopping the ball from seating all the way but it is not a lot of metal and could be filed off.

I have an old FX mast ball that is slightly smaller and the pin almost slides by the mast ball, but not quite. The pin would be more convenient but I am happy to use 1/8" stainless steel bolt. Please let me know.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's also possible the holes in the mast base were drilled in the wrong location causing the pin to crash with the ball. I would definitely also check the mast base socket for excess material (flashing) which is not allowing the base to fully seat on the ball.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No place else for holes to move. Not even a mm. Filed out some excess material in socket left from casting. Still no workee. Mast step ball was made with hair too much diameter. Just use an 1/8" bolt. Also, the current online owners manual is missing some of the pages on jib setup. There is an older one dated 12/2013 out there that has the pages.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sounds like, they've drilled a 1/4" hole in 1/8" hole location. If this is true, then the ball would be in fact on the way of the 1/4" pin -- roughly 1/16". Assuming this is all the case, all you need to to file out 1/16" (or 1.6 mm) with a small round file.

Long term, Hobie should replace your mast base, as the fix will leave you with over-sized pin hole.