Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Update on mast stepper?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In Sept. 2013, Matt wrote:

Quote:
The stepper bracket does fit the T2 / H16 mast section. The fit is adequate for use of the stepper III on the T2 I believe. At most an additional pad or slight bend in the forward part of the bracket would make a perfect fit I think. Since the pole is long and attachments are adjustable. Should be no problem. If we get a chance to assemble one and test... we'll let you know. At least the T2 will be simpler as it has trapeze wire for use as anti-sway.

I have the Mast Stepper III (used it on FX One) and a T2.

Been hoping for an update on the above.

Problems:

1. The stepper bracket, or "adapter" as it is listed in #3156 instructions, does not fit the T2 mast section. Too loose. Yes, another pad might help but I wouldn't trust it.
2. Yes, the trap lines are important as anti-sway. But there is nowhere to attach them efficiently and safely on front crossbar. The jib blocks are not a good suggestion as an attachment point for trap lines...
3. The forestay is too long.

The H16 mast steppers are safest and securest that I have seen and I wish that there was a step link kit to install somehow on T2 that would keep the mast from rotating and lock it in place when raising.

The actual T2 hulls and tramp (without mast) is almost as easy for me to manage as the Wave was. But I was/am a little surprised that the mast on the T2 is as cumbersome as it is and since I am still fighting some health issues I will not even try the mast solo.

It would be nice to store the T2 for the sailing season with the mast up, but that's not going to happen. The mast will be raised and lowered for day-sailing.

I would prefer that only Matt respond, please. I have talked to a dealer several times and they don't have any new information.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

Nothing new here. I have never tested it. Not that different from how it works on the Getaway though.

The bracket need not be a tight fit. The pole forces it in compression only. There should be no lateral or vertical loads.

The trapeze can be tied off at the inboard edge of the hulls.

How is the forestay "too long"? Does mast rake cause the pole not to be perpendicular?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)