Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We had some awesome weather on Lake Superior yesterday 90f, 12-15knot winds gusting in the 20s . My wife got out on the trap for the first time and we flew a hull for the first time. I went back out solo and got the hull in the air a bit more.

https://youtu.be/B_Fe9j-tzsU

I definitely have some learning to do still, and probably won't go out in that high of wind solo again until I figure out righting by myself. We practiced this weekend in the shallows and the T2 rights with just a righting line very easily with 2 people. At 150lbs I seemed to be ~25-50lbs too light to do it myself (no wind). I'd probably be able to pop it up myself in the wind though, and while soloing in the video my wife was nearby (and I didn't stray far) enough to paddle out if I needed help. In hindsight I won't do it again, but it sure was fun!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Very nice video! I haven't been out on trapeze-worthy days on Lake Erie yet. Need to get a harness soon and might actually go with a kite-boarder Dakine or something. I'm now weaned off keeping the mast pin inserted during sailing, but do keep a short safety line from striker post to the mast base just in case things want to separate during a capsize. Are you seeing any pin-caused wear on the mast ball? Also, got my mainsheet block adjusted so that cleating is now a conscious move. Ditto on the jib, by moving the block pin to the middle hole. Also added a Harken 29mm pivoting lead block + single block to the mast base for the sail downhaul - makes during-sailing adjustments a bit easier than the simple cleat choice that came with the mast. And the forward spreader bar makes a great place to attach a Davis Black Max wind vane!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We just got Dakine windsurf harnesses. They seem good for our needs as we learn. maybe someday we'll want full harnesses, but not at this point. I'll take a look at my mast ball next time I'm down on the beach and let you know about wear. I'm definitely going to be adjusting my main cleat after this weekend though. I'm with you on wanting to have it be a conscious effort to lock it in the cleat. In the higher winds it just kept slipping in too easily.

FYI, when we did the righting drill in the shallows our bob bracket bent pretty good. I tipped it the opposite way the next time and it basically straightened out with a little help from me while she was on her side.

I still need to figure out how to right it myself. I'm pretty sure I'm just barely too light. the boat seemed like it wanted to come up, but no matter how long I hung out there it wouldn't (in power position, but very light winds near shore where I was trying). I'm thinking I might try a righting bucket or backpack with a trash bag or something. I've thought about a righting pole but that seems like an overly complex solution based on how close I feel like I was. The shroud extenders also have me interested. I'm not sure if I can use the H17 extenders if I leave the pin in, or if there's some reason Hobie doesn't sell the solo righting system for the roto-cats.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I didn't notice any wear on the mast ball, but I think it may have rotated? There was a minor ding on the bottom of it that I think is in a different position now. going to pay a lot more attention to that.