Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

At higher speeds the rudders on my T2 pop up say 30-40 degrees. Only the leeward hull and only when it's most inconvenient.
Can these new T2/Getaway/Wave-type rudders be adjusted? There is no plunger, and there are only two bolts in the rudder housing, one being the axis of rotation for the rudder up/down; the other to snug up the tiller.
I would think that snugging up the axis bolt by a half turn would do it??
It's possible the housing (plastic) has flared some so that its little black "knobs" find it easier to pop out of the notches on the sides of each rudder when speed is sufficient. Tightening the axis bolt in that case might not have any benefit?
Suggestions welcome!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't have that problem, although your definition of higher speeds may be different than mine. The rudders on mine require a bit of torque (~10 ft-lbs.?) to lock them in the fully down position under dry conditions, and to lift the windward rudder when sailing. The rudders have detents for each position (fully up and down). I notice that the rudder is not exactly centered between the two black plastic pieces that fit into their respective detents. That may not matter because at least one is fully seated in its matching detent. Maybe that helps to keep them locked by applying extra force to one rather than light force on both?

The bolt that the rudder pivots on could be overtightened, causing distortion which could lead to the black plastic parts being insufficiently seated in the detents. In that case i would expect the torque required to lock the rudders down and to pop them up to be a lot less than 10 ft-lbs. The lee side rudder is probably wet which would further reduce the friction needed to keep it locked down and explain why only it pops up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

also haven't had the issue, and have hit some pretty high speeds. 20.6mph is the top I've clocked on GPS, and I've done a lot of cruising in the upper teens. Sorry, no help here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:37 am 
Site Admin

You can tighten the hinge bolt, but it is critical to keep the rudder all the way up or all the way down when in storage. If you let the tips rest on the sand when stored, that spreads and holds the housing open which can lessen the holding power of the cams when sailing.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt-
Good to know. I have been storing the rudders in fully-up or fully-down position to avoid the spread problem, so that wasn't the cause. I will see how the tightened pivot/hinge bolt works on the next stormy day. The boat did spend summer 4 months outdoors at the dealer, so who knows what the rudders were doing during that period!

Separately ,,,, Humming rudders? That should be a Hobie sales pitch - it's a great sound to hear on a reach - a good indicator that you're flying!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:59 pm 
Site Admin

amfoyle wrote:
Separately ,,,, Humming rudders? That should be a Hobie sales pitch - it's a great sound to hear on a reach - a good indicator that you're flying!

Ha!

There is a cure if you are interested:

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)