Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailer modification
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

When I bought my boat, new, it came with a trailer that had 4 carpeted blocks of wood instead of rollers. The carpet pulled off the first time the screw holes on the keel went over them. I swapped the rear out for rollers and put plastic covers on the front wood blocks. I still didn't like loading the boat, you feel every bolt hole and then it sits so high in the rear. Trying to come up with something better, I kept thinking that our keels are flat and it's be nice to spread the weight out better and decrease the spot pressure.
I thought of composite decking and went to Lowe's and bought two boards, on the way home I realized the boards had grooves on the underside that fit the keel strip perfectly. I also picked up two pieces of sign strut to put under the board for support. All I can say now is, this is a dream. The boat slides on and off so easy and it also lowered the boat 6in getting rid of the rollers. Each board has two grooves so I lined them up so it doesn't matter which one I hit when loading, the other hull lines up, they also keep the boat from moving sideways
Over the weekend talking with friends, we came up with the idea to use the same composite to make full length keel strips....to be continued.

79' H16 Green Lightning

Post subject: Re: Trailer modification
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sweet setup buxton. I have wondered whether it is good for the plastic hull to rest on rollers day after day year after year. Doesn't seem to hurt it so far but I would hate to find a permanent dent.