Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd like to continue the discussion on this. Not to criticize Hobie or rant but just better understand the industry and the decisions about what boats are marketed and sold. First, I love my Wave, for the following primary reasons:
1. It fits in my garage
2. I can easily move it, rig it and sail it myself
3. It is basically indestructible so I take it everywhere. Beach launch, boat ramp, carry it over rocks to lakes, oceans, bays, harbors, and I don't stress about it
4. I'm a trailer sailor and I can go from trailer to sailing in about 30 minutes

What I am lacking is pure performance. If I am sailing by myself, I am only interested in 15+ knots of wind or it just isn't all that exciting. My vision of flying a hull trapped out just isn't possible on the Wave, at least not for me. The main picture on the T1 page shows the vision I have in my head of what I want. I've looked into adding a jib to the Wave but the general consensus seems to be that it won't make much difference.

So this is the question: What boat does Hobie think I should buy? A Hobie 16 for $12k+? For a 40 year old design? Find a used H16? Good used ones are hard to find. A Getaway? A used H17? A used F18? A T2? I would love to hear the answer. Am I the only one that wants more performance but doesn't want an H16? On paper the T1 seems to be the holy grail.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The answer is probably a NACRA 460 and a missed opportunity for Hobie.

2010 NACRA Infusion
2004 F18 Hobie Tiger - SOLD
Hobie 16 - BREAKPOINT - SOLD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:36 am 
Site Admin

The T1 is not a big increase in performance and one of the reasons we have not duplicated that range in the US line up. Plus... the Wave ain't broke...

The options in the US are H16 or Getaway.

We have made decisions based on saleability. You can not have every possible option available and keep costs low. We have to build boats in larger batches to make any production sense.

You can ask a dealer about special ordering from the French line... I don't have that information. It varies by region.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wave vs. T1 performance is similar? I guess it must be me. Can somebody send me some pictures of a grown adult doing this on a Wave?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:36 pm 
Site Admin

You can trapeze from a Hobie 14 too... when it's really windy. Has more to do with the rig height and the placement of the mast further aft. The sail areas are not that different. The Wave is pretty quick when windy and hiking.

Wave:
Sail Area: 95 ft² / 9.0 m²
(Optional Jib is 25 Sq Ft)

T1:
Mainsail Area: 9 m² / 96.9 ft²
Jib Sail Area: 2.25 m² / 24.2 ft²

I am told (by the guy in the photo / Jacques) that they are pretty similar in lower winds, but he does like the feel when really windy and he can trapeze.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING??? I Love it!! Where is there info on it?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

xanderwess wrote:
WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING??? I Love it!! Where is there info on it?

Only sold in Europe at the moment - here's the Euro web link: https://www.hobie.com/xe/en/sail/t1/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Europeans get all the cool stuff. That was you flying a hull trapped out? I would guess the tang is not on the comp tip like the wave.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OMG :shock: Hobie!
Phase OUT the Wave and Spool UP the T1
Please!!!
That boat is HOT!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
Hobie think I should buy?

You should probably try out a Getaway, it gives you all the things your looking for, except IDK about fitting into your garage. It is much faster then a wave, it is tough and super easy to rig and sail single handed, even in strong wind.

I've owned lots of Hobies including 14, 16, Getaway, 17 and now a 21.

Maybe a used 14, or 17, but honestly, the Getaway feels faster and easier to sail then the 14 and is easier to rig and more versatile then the 17. The 17 and 18 have dagger boards and more complicated rigging, making them much more difficult to sail and rig.

The decision to pull the T2 makes a lot of sense as their the Getaway probably provided comparable performance and better versatility. Plus Hobie can sell them to resorts and individuals. (same with the Wave)

The 16 has a special place in my heart as it was my first Hobie, but honestly I wouldn't buy a new one for so many reasons. First there are so many used ones for dirt cheap. The market is completely saturated. 2nd it just can't doesn't sail as well as other boats, it is actually much faster then the Getaway, but very challenging to sail compared to Getaway or even Nacra 5.7 and more difficult to rig.

Someone mentioned Nacra 470. I wish Hobie had a competitor to Nacra 470 and 570 as I love Hobies and would love to see a sailors catamaran back on the Hobie USA site.

Actually what Hobie could do is update the wave, not phase it out. Sort of merge the T1 and wave together. Like they did with the Getaway. Hobie EU has way to many boats to cost effectively support.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Phase out the Wave? Not (censored) funny.