Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looking for used Hobie cat for grandkids age 10-15. Need suggestion for size. Thinking about 16'

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I wish I'd had a grandparent like you.

My inclination would be that the H16 might be too much boat for 10-15 year olds. They power up fast in a breeze and could be hard to right when capsized. I don't know how much experience the gk have or how big they are, but my generic recommendation would be to look at a Bravo or Wave. They are more indestructible than the fiberglass H16 and easier to right. I suspect something like that would probably be more fun for them until they graduate to a H16 that their grandparent buys for them.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

difference between bravo and wave???????

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Isn't that easily researchable?

Try here https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=33656

and here https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=43951

and here https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=35616

all the specs for each:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It depends on how much sailing experience your grandkids have, how much you expect them to sail, where they plan to sail... a lot of factors.

A 10 - 15 year old with sailing experience and who is sailing in appropriate conditions can certainly handle a Hobie 16. However, if they have no or minimal experience, it is going to be too much boat to learn on and they would be better off on a Wave or a Sunfish/Laser type boat.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I sail and race our H16 with my son, now aged 25.
He started at age 8 with Opti's then later on BICs then on 420's, and could only graduate to Lasers once he reach 105 lbs, as that is the mass required to right a Laser.
He became very competent at doing dry capsizes on the Laser.

As SRM said, select something that 'matches' the weight/strength/ability of your young sailors.
My vote would be for a Hobie Bravo, although it might be tough to find a used one.
Next up would be a Hobie Wave, again tough to find a 'good' used one.
If you can find one, try an Italian built dinghy called an X-1: it is fast and fun.

Used Lasers and Sunfish are a dime a dozen...depending on condition.

Happy shopping.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If they have no prior sailing experience, start small and cheap. I learned at about that age on a free sunfish, then stepped up to a H16. A cheap sunfish like boat is great if they have no experience. Spend $0-$200 on it. After a year replace it with a H16. As far as small sailboats go, H16's are good to learn on, fun to sail and very affordable. If you have never sailed before a H16 can be a bit overwhelming as it has a fair amount of sail and goes fast. I would not recommend sailing a H16 with just the main, as the rig is unbalanced and the boat will be difficult to tack.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have wonderful memories of my time on the boat. It was an incredible experience.

I have two favourite places in the world that I have visited. Niue, where there are more coconuts than people, and New Zealand are two of them.

The most terrifying moment was probably when we were approaching an anchorage in the South Pacific and ran aground on a coral head. Fortunately, we had a friend following us who pulled us off. That was the most terrifying experience I'd ever had.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

20s - 30s. Too young to be trusted with a job that paid a decent wage and too old to live with or leech off your parents. I didn't rise out of poverty till I was 33 years old.