Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My two teenage sons have been involved in sailing now for a couple years now with a local club and it has got to a point where they could really do with having their own boat. They have most experience of Hobie, and as such, it is that brand of boat that I am most interested at looking at for them. I don't have the finances for a new boat at present so I've been looking at the second hand market. I found a few potential used second hand classified ads options on my local hobie website.

I was drawn to this Hobie Dragoons x 4 that is available for sale. But I am no expert. Would this be a good choice in terms of size and model for a couple of intermediate teenagers such as my sons. (I am not involved in sailing myself, so please excuse my ignorance).

Last edited by Pooky1982 on Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:04 am 
Site Admin

I think it depends on your region. I take it you are in the EU? Dragoon is not sold in the USA, so not a lot of experience with it in these forums. The Dragoon is primarily a training boat for younger teens. If they are getting older, they may be better on a Hobie 16. There is a very strong class of junior sailors on the 16 World Wide.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
I think it depends on your region. I take it you are in the EU? Dragoon is not sold in the USA, so not a lot of experience with it in these forums. The Dragoon is primarily a training boat for younger teens. If they are getting older, they may be better on a Hobie 16. There is a very strong class of junior sailors on the 16 World Wide.

Thanks for your input on this mmiller. I'm actually in South Africa but our market are probably similar to Europe. I'll keep an eye out for the Hobie 16 on your advise but i guess it is all down to what is available second hand at the end of the day.