Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

To ask this of you clever guys, I first have to admit I'm a puss. My 18 is typically heavy, and even on CatTrax I can't get it all the way up on the beach without help. At my club we rent beach space and can leave our boats there, just a few feet from the water. In lighter air I like to singlehand the 18, but I'm asking for a year's worth of chiropracty trying to drag it ashore when I'm done.
I've considered using my old mainsheet blocks or a winch, but I'll have to invent something. (I hate the thought of turning a crank for ten minutes as it inches up. Oy veh.) I can screw in a sand anchor, and there's a hefty tree within 30 feet, perfectly aligned.
And the next thing: where's the safest place to attach on the stern? The back crossbar is great except the tramp's back piece is in the way. Using the gudgeons seem dicey.
Has anyone invented something brilliant? You guys are the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I struggle with this as well when I find a beach to use for a couple days or hours. Even with two people it's hard to pull it up when there's a slight embankment. I push from the bridal but that makes me nervous. For such a light boat it can be a pig

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you have sturdy beach wheels I've "sailed" my Hobie up the beach... but the wind has to be from the right direction and not too strong of you can flip it!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can probably shave 50-75 Lbs off the boat if you remove as much gear as possible before moving it up the beach - dagger boards, sails, boom, blocks, life jackets, etc. It's not a huge amount, but every bit helps.

To connect to the rear crossbar, I would create a simple bridle with a loop in the center and then tie each end to the rear crossbar. You can tie around the crossbar at the gap between the rear tramp lacing strp and the inboard side of each hull. Unless your beach is very steep, I would suspect a block and tackle with a 2:1 or maybe 3:1 purchase would be all that's needed. The trick will be balancing the boat on the wheels, steering it, and pulling the line single handedly.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I fashioned a test rig using 3:1 blocks I had around. Anchored one end in the sand. I used some junk rope, not wanting to buy 75 ft of good line just for a test. I pulled in a few feet, the rope was too stretchy, a wholly insufficient carabiner broke and the whole rig shot like a cannon towards the boat. My wife, who was still gathering gear off the tramp, didn't even look up as she said, "How close did that come to my head?"

:shock:

Club nixed my idea of sinking a 4x4 post for a winch.

SRM, you're right about clearing the deck first. It does help, as does making sure the beach wheels are well inflated. But it's still not enough. I'll commit to proper line and gear and give it another go. Steering is easy enough; I just need to keep the stern up so it doesn't bulldoze through the sand.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So this is my first summer with an 18 but I have solo'd it up the beach a couple times doing the following.

1. get the wheels just behind the front cross bar so there is more weight aft but you can balance the boat with one hand pushing down on the bow of a hull
2. get some lifting straps like they use for moving large pieces of furniture and loop them around the ost outboard part of forward cross bar on each side
3. Cross the straps, pass them over each shoulder and pull forward.
4. if the bows hit the sand adjust the wheels forward.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

if you have room, try pulling at an angle across the beach, then tacking and going the other way. More distance but less effort. Doesn't help trying to get it uphill into a narrow parking spot :-(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

B: That's a really clever idea! Sadly, the cats on my beach are lined up like a parking lot, just above the waterline. I gotta go straight up.

I repurposed my original mainsheet block to make a 3:1 "winch" to haul the boat up, one end anchored in the sand and the other attached to the rear crossbar. Haven't had need to try it yet, but I'll report back on whether it works.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is an idea......
Can you borrow another set of cat trax?
If so, when you return to the beach after sailing, place and secure one set at the front cross bar and the 2nd set at the rear cross bar.
Drop all your sails.
Then use a trailer winch or similar to bring the H18 up the beach.

I need 2 people to bring the H18SX back on land.
At our S/Club, at the top of the small boat ramp, we have a 12v Capstan Winch, with a 50' length of 9/16ths line.
When we return from sailing, we place the cat trax in position, secure the line to the front cross bar.
Then my crew operates the capstan while I balance the hulls as the H18 climbs the ramp.
At the top of the ramp, we stop, and I tilt the hulls so that any water can drain.
After that, it's a one person job to wheel the Hobie to it's parking place.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ummm get a 16?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Blasphemer.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Up and down the beach by oneself is a challenge.

Sailing solo also has challenges. So last night at the weekly races, I went out solo on my SX (with Tiger spin).
The only reason I did not end up DFL is that two Tornados decided to have a collision with each other and they were DNF.
(They made it back to the dock without sinking, but for one, it was very close to a sinking.)

Raising and flying a spin while solo, and keeping the boat straight, and not sliding off when a puff hits is quite the task.
Lucky the winds were light, 6 k, gusting 9.....

I now have a much greater respect for my buddy Wilby, who solos his F16....especially because he beat me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Really :roll: :roll:
When I'm single handing, I just put my cat trax under the hulls and tie off to my shroud's about 10" to the rear. Then depending on the winds I sheet in and sail it up the beach- then just take it off the trax. 8)

Boat name: Blown Away

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use CadKat EuroTrax wheels with the XL slick tyres. These are the ultimate beach wheels. I’ve had them for 25+ years for Tornado and H18 campaigns. They are superior to many other models. They have roller bearings which never cease. The key is the large slick tyre. Place them 6” behind the main beam so the boat is perfectly balanced. Take all other gear off (as mentioned above). Use the jib to help sail the boat up. The H18 is about 180kgs so will always be difficult with just one person. I suggest getting on Tinder or eharmony or zoosk to find a crew.

Boat name: 18@heart
http://www.hobie18.fun
https://www.facebook.com/Hobie18catamaran/