Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie. Getaway vs 18
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Got bit by the cat bug along time ago! Planning on getting one by summer now. At first I thought the getaway made the most sense for my first cat.... but now i'm thinking the 18 may be better long term fit as I get more into it. I'm 200 lbs, only would be sailing on small mountain lakes, would normally have another adult and maybe one kiddo (9), every once and awhile 2 kiddos. Will have mast up storage at lake. I know the getaway will be less intimadating at first and great with front tramp, but the 18 just looks like it's so much more stable, and more fun when the winds blowing. Just curious if many of you came from the getaway platform before the 18. Hope everyones well and washing hands-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:22 am 
Site Admin

I posted in the Getaway forum about your question.

Quote:
The issue would be finding an 18 and one with wings in good shape. Parts are starting to be an issue since the boat has been out of production for a LONG time.

The Getaway is way more durable for bumping rocks and docks.

The 18 is an awesome ride though! Lighter and quicker.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So far I've found 2 18's ,both with SX wings, both have been completely gone thru. Alot of the draw and allure to the 18 is the sx wings look so much more comfortable.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 18 is still a fantastic boat, and while it is definitely more powerful than a 16 or a getaway, it's also more forgiving than a 16. Wings are a very nice feature to have, and if you've found boats with wings already then you're in great shape! Wings are very difficult to get if you don't have them already, and parts for them are no longer produced, so we're all just scavanging what's left.

I disagree with whoever matt miller was quoting in his post. Yes, SOME parts are no longer in production, but there is still a surplus of all the typical parts that you'll need to replace. Most parts I have no trouble getting new from Hobie, and the parts that aren't available new are still plenty available used on ebay and from Hobie dealers & online marketplaces. I wouldn't hesitate to get another H18 if I ever lost mine. The only reason I've begun to think about getting a different boat is because I'd like to race, and the H18 racing fleet has long since vanished. If that's not something you're interested in, the 18 would be an excellent choice for you. The getaway would also be a good fun boat for you, but if you think you'd like to really push the boat and want to get some performance out of it, the 18 is better suited for that.

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I sailed H18's for for over 25 years, and I still love the stability and ride.
(In the last 7 years of sailing my SX18, we added a Tiger spinaker - what a thrill).

However, Both the Getaway and the H18 + wings are over 400 lbs.
For one person, that's a lot to move around.

I suggest you also look at a Wave, for the few times you sail with others, it will work, and it's much lighter to move around on the beach.
On your own, especially in + 15 knots, it is a blast.

If you go with a H18, you'll end up on this and the Beach Cats forum with maintenance issues.
Not so much with a Wave or Getaway.
That's one of the reasons I now sail a H16, plus there are fleets of H16's still around, when the racing bug bites....like Mad Catter and Water Rats.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll always have another adult with me and sometimes a 9 year old. Will only be recreational sailing, and will most of the time be leaving mast up at lake. I've found 2 18 (both with SX wings) that have pretty much been gone thru from top to bottom and are as new as you can get with being old :D My fear is the that a getaway I'll get tired of quickly and want to graduate to a 18. Normally what ever hobbie I get into... i really get into

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Go for your H18, and check out the following:
1. 5:1 downhaul, it saves time and effort when launching/returning.
2. snap shackle at the clew of the main, for that 'quick release' of the main when beaching. If you continue to use the quick pin, make sure it is tied on somehow so it does not pop free and disappear into the water. (Don't ask how I know!)
3. 36" of bungee as a jib-sheet tangle preventer, which runs from the inside edge of the front cross bar, up through the lower diamond wires, around the mast and down to the other inside edge. Then the jib sheets lie ON TOP of the preventer, and will not get tangled at the base of the mast.
email me for pictures/diagrams as needed. lunnjohn 'at' magma 'dot' ca.
4. Service and lube your rudder mechanisms, possibly replacing the delrin screws and cams. Good rudders made for good sailing.
5. Consider switching to s/steel rudder pins.
6. Do any of the H18's you are looking at come with EPO rudders? The old style (black) ones are available from time to time on this Forum or Beachcats etc. The new version, EPO 3's, are an investment.
7. Check your budget and consider investing in Robbline or similar 'new generation' lines for your main and jib sheets.
8. Are the dagger boards okay? I think I have a spare set in the basement, if you need....shipping will be $.....

enjoy and be safe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with John, the H18 is probably your best bet. It's forgiving enough for the beginner in milder conditions, with enough power & room for an extra person or two on occasion, and you can really fly in a blow! Not that there is a "bad" move when getting a Hobie cat... worst case, you'd probably love sailing the getaway for a few years, then upgrade to a H18 if you want more of a thrill, or upgrade to a H16 is you want to race.

John Lunn wrote:
That's one of the reasons I now sail a H16, plus there are fleets of H16's still around, when the racing bug bites....like Mad Catter and Water Rats.

John, I didn't know you've been racing the Madcatter, and moved on to a H16! I'm contemplating the same move, for the same reasons. I love my H18... the performance, the stability, the tunability... but you just can't race them. I've had a few good regattas in Canandaigua, NY racing the Sharks (20' wooden cats), which are nearly a boat for boat match to the H18, but to really experience cat racing, you have to get a H16 or an F18. The engineer & sailing nut in me would love to go for the F18, but between the rig time, cost and distance to the nearest regattas, I think the H16 is a better bet.

I had hoped to get a H16 before Madcatter this year, but Coronavirus is putting a damper on those plans. I'm hoping the regatta is still on!

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I noticed that you will be sailing on a "small mountain lake". If the lake is smaller than a square mile, you maybe tacking quite a bit on an 18, as it won't take much time to cross the lake. Since you weight 200 lbs. and will be sailing with another adult and possibly one or two kids, I think you will outgrow a Gateway. An 18 is really a very stable boat that can "get up and go" and yet be depowered by furling the jib.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi....The gataway ought to work really hard for you. It isnt the quickest feline yet it isnt the slowest by the same token. When you get acquainted with everything you may need something somewhat more racey, all things considered get a modest hobie 16 and save the escape for times when you dont have knowlegable group. You will probably be glad enough you will stay with the escape, however.

prototype pcb

Last edited by KattiMini on Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In defense of the Getaway, it gets a bad rap as a slow boat. I've owned H17s (which are really fast in high winds) and have sailed my Getaway with 16s and 18s. The 16s are faster in light wind, but in a blow, the G and the 16 are about equal. The 18 is somewhat faster than a G, but it depends on the sailor too. I'd call myself competent, not exceptional, and I've kept up with and even passed 18s before in medium winds. In high winds, no doubt the 18 is faster.

The Getaway is easier and quicker to rig, fewer adjustments to mess with (which means it's not as tunable), the forward tramp is a nice hangout. The Getaways wings are ok, but the hammock wings on the 18 (like the ones on my 17s) are more comfortable, No dagger boards, so you don't have to worry about running them aground, but it worsens the G pointing ability.

Either boat would be a good choice. Like people have said, you'll probably have to do more work on the 18, and make sure you carefully inspect any boat you consider buying. Really try to get a test sail on it.
I had a H17 I bought new and really liked, and foolishly sold it 7 years later. After some other boats that never quite satisfied, I bought what I thought was a really nice used H17. The seller told me the hulls didn't leak and the rigging was new. After the first sail, I emptied gallons of water from the port hull. It had a badly cracked C-board trunk. And the 3rd time I sailed it, a side shroud broke (in medium wind) and down came the mast. I fixed the leak and got new standing rigging, but the boat somehow never felt right to me.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I scored a 2003 18sx from original owner. Still haven't put it in the water, excited... and nervous too( hate to put it on it's side :| ). I've put feelers out to find somebody for a few lessons, but so far zero luck. Looking forward to this summer and maiden voyage

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Myself and a bunch of good people on this Forum can help (remotely) with lessons.
Don't get intimidated with all the 'adjustments', mast rotator adjustment, jib traveler etc.
Learn the setup, how to rig, etc, and go sailing on a gentle day.
The rest will come with time.

The mounting of the jib and the raising of the mainsail is likely the most challenging concern.
Do a search elsewhere on this Forum for tips and tricks.
While the fittings may be different, the overall set up is very similar amongst all Hobie catamarans.
There are many YouTube videos available, do some research.

What, in particular, do you feel you need help with?

Sometimes, I really miss my old SX18.....