Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all... newbie cat sailor here. Bought an 86, fixing it up. I read the info on the hull issues around the crossbars, and seems like the reinforcement is a good idea.

I'll be sailing on the SF Bay at least some of the time, so it'll get bounced around, and I have the wings.

I looked for the anchor plate part 64100001 but Murrays says its not being made anymore on their site, and didnt see any other sources.

Anyone know where to get?

thanks

Ben

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Has been discussed occasionally in recent years. I think the feedback was that Hobie is out of stock and has no intention of producing more due to low demand/discontinuation of the Hobie 18. So unless you happen to find a dealer with old stock or can scavenge an old parts boat, you’re probably SOL.

You can still beef up the hulls by adding fiberglass patches inside, but it is a fairly involved process to do that.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ah bummer! Will the FG internal repair work nearly as well? I can start looking for the anchor plates, just not sure how critical they are. Almost could have a metal shop make something, right? Anyone know how thick these anchors are?

I have some experience with composites, so that should help. Maybe the anchors could be molded out of FG, like laid up on the boat as a form with mold release?

thanks

Ben

Last edited by skinnydoc on Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm not seeing any of the images on any of these pages, is it a browser setting perhaps? I'm using google chrome on a laptop.

thanks

Ben

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt from Hobie has said in the past that the internal patch is all that’s needed and the anchor plate is just extra insurance. IMO, the anchor plate is doing the majority of reinforcing because it is connecting the deck flange to the side of the hull, which is not the case with the internal patch. I haven’t measured one recently, but I think the anchor plates are around 0.060-0.080 thick. I like the idea of molding a composite plate using the hull as a form. Carbon would be the material of choice for that.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good news, I was wrong and the anchor plates are at the shouds and the forward outboard crossbar connection points! The previous owner DID know what he/she was doing.

Looks like I cant get any more anchors, but should I still consider glassing the inboard forward point, and the in/outboard in the aft crossbar area?

thanks

Ben

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check up under the hull flange for cracks extending forward and aft from where the anchors seat against the hull. Look at all of the connection points, inboard/outboard, forward/aft. Light, hairline cracks in the gelcoat are normal, but anything more significant is cause for concern. If the hull is cracked, I would fix it. If no cracks, I wouldn't worry too much. Adding the fiberglass patch is good insurance, but if the hulls are solid and no cracks have formed after 30+ years, then it's probably fine.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

With the age of the boats now, we have been seeing more of them splitting the rear beam deck as well. You need these plates everywhere. I dont think the patch does much but seal the hull from leaks if the flex splits through the hull.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi y’all. Soon, in 2022, we will be manufacturing some shroud anchor plates for this purpose. Hobie have discontinued the original shroud anchor plate kits so, along with our other Reimagined parts, we will be offering for sale a 2022 version of the anchor plate kits suitable for both the shroud anchor pins and the front and rear beam bolts. Stay tuned. I can’t promise when, but the drawings are being done and we hope to have them early next year. These will be offered via the Hobie 18 Reimagined Facebook page along with jib tack plate kits, double traveller car plate kits and other Knick-knacks.

Boat name: 18@heart
http://www.hobie18.fun
https://www.facebook.com/Hobie18catamaran/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thats cool, pls post here when you get them going, I'm not on FB very often. I would consider getting 2-4more of the anchors, given I have 4 of them, two at the shroud points, and two outboard front crossbar points. I'll be sailing on the SF Bay some of the time, so it will be bumpy and windy.

Ben