Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 18 HELP!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My name is Michael, I live in Central Florida, I grew up sailing a Hobie 16, and Prindle 19. I've recently been given a 1979 Hobie 18 and it needs a lot of work. I want to get it back to the original and need help. I'm going to have to do hull repairs but most important in going to need sails, tramp, and rigging. I am on a budget so I'm really looking for hand-me-down items. Any advice or parts are appreciated.

Michael Chong
944 Deltona Blvd
Deltona FL 32725

Post subject: Re: Hobie 18 HELP!!!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

40+ year old Hobie 18 that needs hull work - my advice would be to thoroughly inspect the hulls and determine the full extent of work needed before sinking a penny into any other part of the boat. I would be surprised if those hulls aren’t delaminated. Check them all over by pressing firmly against the fiberglass to see if it flexes or makes crunching sounds. Small areas can be fixed. Large areas mean the hulls are most likely unsalvageable.

sm

Post subject: Re: Hobie 18 HELP!!!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That was the first thing my dad told me to check and I think with this boat trapped in really thick brush and trees for over 10 years nightgown helped it cause I do feel 1 soft spot, but when I pound all over the hulls they are surprisingly really solid. I plan on putting a lot of time and work into it but trying to keep it budget friendly due to the fact that I don't know what it will do once on the water. If I can figure out how to post pictures on here I'm going to try and give some progress photos. I appreciate the advice and I'm going to go back over the entire thing and hyper inspect every detail or issue.