Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I’ve turtled an 18SX a couple times and easily righted it, usually by pulling the mast to point into the wind, then the wind gets under the tramp and helps with the rest. I’ve capsized this specific boat a few times and it didn’t turtle so it has a good history of staying in a capsize. Also, I checked for leaks a couple days ago by dunking the mast in the lake before stepping it. But today was different.

The wind was strong and gusting today and we went over fast, and as I came up out of the water I saw the boat quickly turtle as I watched my crew jump off the high hull (which I suspect had something to do with the turtle). I loosened the main and furled the jib, and our combined weight was about 330 lbs. and the mast wouldn’t budge. A passing motorist and I tried with at least 450 lbs. and still nothing. So the righting line was tied to the motor boat’s bow line and the boat was righted with mechanical assistance.

My question is - what was I doing wrong? I had a righting line tied to the dolphin striker routed around the hull, stood on the leeward hull and leaned back - my usually successful technique. The lake is plenty deep, so the mast wasn’t stuck in bottom.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:20 am 
Site Admin

May have been fighting the wind direction? You need to get on the lee side hull... mast to windward as it comes up. Usually best at about a 45-degree angle as you finish righting with the bows mostly into the wind.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, we definitely stood on the lee side hull. At least you confirmed I was doing everything right, so maybe there was something at the bottom holding the mast, but we were slightly drifting.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Righting from turtle is slightly different than from boat lying on its side... Don't try to stand on the leeward hull at the center of it, but move most of your weight to the rear portion of the hull and pull on your righting line . This line should be attached to the far hull at the front crossbar intersection. When the boat begins to rise at an angle move weight toward center. Proceed with normal righting....DJ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I may have found the problem - the mast has unsealed rivet holes near the base from a what may have been a downhaul system. After taking the mast down there was water sloshing inside the comptip. Since it is put away for the season I will fill the holes and try dunking in the lake again.

Any tips how to get the water out of the comptip?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't let the water in the mast freeze....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very unlikely that holes at the base of the mast would cause water to leak into the comptip. The lower mast and the comptip are essentially two separately sealed compartments. I would suggest you check your comptip for leaks (in addition to fixing the holes at the base of the mast.

Two options for getting the water out of the comptip. The first would be to drill a hole a few inches down from the mast head, drain the water, and then plug the hole (with a screw or similar). The second option would be to pull the mast head out completely to drain. That would involve drilling out the six rivets that hold on the halyard hook and then carefully pulling out the mast head and the foam plug that’s below it. I say carefully because the fiberglass at the head of the mast is pretty thin, and if you overstress it while trying to tap out the mast head, it could crack (I know this from experience). Then you not only have to fix the comptip leak, but also repair the crack….

sm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the tips!