Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looking into a H18 from 1981 that's got lots of new stuff, rigging, tramp, etc... including hulls refinished.

Was thinking that if the sails are a bit tired, and the hulls gained even more weight than their original 1981 beefyness... would that make for a pig in the performance department?

I dont' want a hotrod, per se... but don't want to be disappointed either.

It does have the shroud reenforcements...

Thought or comments or recommendations PLEASE !

Im just a bit suspicious of the hull refinish, but it does look great. Its about 6 hours away, so need to put good thought into it before making the drive...

THANK YOU! -
Rob sends....
Hobie 14T looking for a Cadillac to drive my friends around in... :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's really hard to say. Have the guy weigh it. Weighed around 400-420 all rigged up from the factory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My boat is an '81. It really depends on how the hulls were refinished. I doubt there is enough paint to increase the weight. I would be concerned that the refinish is hiding damage repair like soft spots. Really check the hulls over well. Soft decks are somewhat easy to fix, soft hulls are not.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

We're going to go for a sail.

I can use a flashlight and look inside the port holes....

Otherwise... do I just go around knocking and tapping... listening for something different...

Or do I need to really exert pressure around the hulls? Using my hands?

Are there specific common weak spots on the hulls to pay special attention to...?

Thank you all very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you can see anything by looking with a flashlight you are a better man than I.

Soft spots due to delamination can occur almost anywhere.

The most common spots for delamination problems are just in front of the rear cross bar where the skipper normally sits.

However, that having been said, check the entire deck area's very carefully.

Check by placing the heel of your hand in the center slick area's between the non skid area's and lean on it with at least 1/3 to 1/2 of your body weight. If you feel movement, or hear crunching, congratulations, you've found a soft spot most likely caused by delamination.

Tap and push on the sides of the hulls from about the shrouds forward to within 2 or three feet of the bow. Some movement is common as you get forward of the cross bar and there are large unsupported area's between the lip of the deck and the keel of the boat, but it shouldn't be an excessive amount of movement, and it shouldn't crunch as it moves. Pay particular attention to any movement that occurs where the sound you hear as you are tapping changes in tone. I for one cannot tell much from tapping, I usually can tell more by pushing on it with the heel of my hand.

As far as the boat having been refinished, what did he refinish it with ?
Some products are much better than others, and I have no experience with anything but Gel Coat. When it comes to that aspect of boat repairs, there are others on this forum are much better informed than I am.

Good Luck
Stephen
H-18