Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to me H18
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

A little history on my Hobie sailing. 4 years or so ago I was given a 81 H-16. I love it, but being 6' and 220lbs I'm just too big of a guy for it (I mainly sail mountain lakes). I also learned that this "free boat" ended up costing me a few grand to fix up. It's now has a soft spot that I've patched this past season, and the tramp is starting to go. So I figure I can sell this boat for a few hundred dollars.

I'm looking to purchase a H-18. I don't really want to be in the same place where I drop a few grand into a boat that will only last a few years. I really like the 18, but am concerned about purchasing a 25 year old boat. I do know that if I get a new boat I can take my jib cars, and new main blocks with me and put the old ones back on so it's not a total loss. There is a guy in our fleet that doesn't sail too much any more and is tired of paying the storage fees on his boat. He's willing to sell it to me for a good price.

I have been doing some reading and was wondering exactly what I should be looking for.

I know that 84-87 are the "bad years" How bad exactly are these years? Should I pass up a solid boat just because it was in this span of time?

I've heard of some type of structural reinforcement between the cross bar and the hull, if this hasn't been done what should I look for as far as a weakness. Is it even possible for the rear cross bar?

The boat I am looking at is a magnum with wings, any issues there?

Thanks in advance, I always find great help here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

84 - 87 were good boats but they didn't have reinforcement. Easily added with the kits from any hobie dealer and some resin. Wings are ok but i never really got into racing with them, other than sf bay.
There is an 83 in santa rosa, thats a great boat. I sold it 2 years ago when I bought my tiger. It has sublime sails #16791 wings lots of spare parts and a good trailer. He has it listed at 2500 but that would be ready to go on the water at that price. When i sold it it had 3 mains and 4 jibs. upgraded main blocks and down haul. 2 sets of epo rudders, and 20 style tiller connections(not installed).
I have a few pics somewhere. e mail me if interested.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

84 to 87 aren't necessarily "bad years", but you should definitely keep your eyes out for potential failure points. Make sure ANY 18 you get has the reinforcement for the front crossbar (stainless anchor that has 4 bolts that bolt into the hull). It's easy to install and worth the added security. You can also install this reinforcement for the rear crossbar, but you'll have to add a porthole to gain inside access to the rear of the boat.
You definitely want to inspect the underside of the hull/deck lip at all crossbar connections (inside & outside, front & rear). If there are cracks (beyond just gelcoat), you'll be in for some repairs.
Other than that, the standard inspections hold. Check the hulls and decks for soft spots, check the aluminum for corrosion (especially the mast and front crossbar), check sails for wear, etc.

Quote:
I do know that if I get a new boat I can take my jib cars, and new main blocks with me and put the old ones back on so it's not a total loss.

Your H16 jib cars (blocks) will not work on the 18...not well. They should fit in the tracks, but they would really be the wrong block. The main blocks would probably be fine. Most people run a 7:1 on the main blocks.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The issues with an 18 is finding one, then finding one in good condition. Look at that boat in Santa Rosa as I know Rich is fairly fastidious about caring for his boats.