Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

why was the h18 discontinued anyways.

1971 H16 (sail #1768)

To all of you on the Hobie Forum... I love you guys!!!
thanks for all the help!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Why was the h18 discontinued?
And the 14 for that matter?

1971 H16 (sail #1768)

To all of you on the Hobie Forum... I love you guys!!!
thanks for all the help!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:57 pm 
Site Admin

Pretty simple... lack of sales. More popular choices came along.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
No wings are currently made for Hobie 18s.

Just my quick 2 cents...earlier this spring I got the "new bigger boat" itch...looked at the Getaway with wings...loved the Other Brand 580 (but no wings...) Finally found some Magnum wings for my 18...I've owned a Wave, 14, 16, two other 18's, and many monohulls...the wings rock. Period. Totally changes the boat for me. It increases the size of it, comfortable temperature range, wetness (DRYNESS), carrying capacity (within total weight limits), vastly increases safety margin and wind range when soloing, eliminates bleacher butt on long calm days, etc etc etc...the wings rock. I'm having more fun this summer than I've ever had on a Hobie product. Even a little sentimental about it now, & I'm not a sentimental guy.

So I understand economically why they aren't made...but they're worth it! (To me).

And the Getaway really didn't "look" good to me...just didn't suit me, but that is probably my fault. And the fact that my 18 is dialed in to a thumb / one-finger tiller weather helm feel (actually gets a little lighter even as the boat drives harder)...I've never had a Hobie product that feels like it is on rails as much as my current 18...How is the helm on a Getaway? I was kind of worried that it might have a lot more varience and "pull" without d-boards.

Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Let's be serious; we can't ask Hobie to provide every part for the H18. This request is much like we trying to find a new dashboard for our 1985 Chevrolet Corvette.

http://www.multihullnets.com/product/product.htm

I bought royal blue wing tramps here for a respectable price and I think they look terrific with my white H18 Hobie tramp. We have to do what we can in order to keep these boats going. In retrospect, I should have ordered a new boat in 2000 when my boat turned ten years old.

As far as racing; No one ever blinks at my Hobie 18 wings at a regatta; they are just glad to see me there. I have no intention of ever traveling 2,000 miles to some National Event; but I know I would just remove them before the race as I use to do. I did take it 1,500 miles in April to the Gulfport Yacht Club to race, but I was going there for a month's vacation anyway.

Good luck with your decisions. Don't blame Hobie; It just doesn't make sense to stockpile parts for things that are not absolutely needed.

Wyatt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

1) where did you get your royal blue tramps ? the only objection here is forcing one to buy black when it is a hot surface in my hot weather sailing.

2) The analogy is not quite the same, the boat went out of production recently -- 5 or 6 years ago ?

3) I´ve reached a satisfactory compromise with Matt in that Hobie will sell me the fabric. I´ve found a local company that can probably heat weld the wing tramps and if not do a good stitching job. My problem is now solved since Hobie has the main tramp in stock.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

http://www.multihullnets.com/product/product.htm

They build a quality product. Good luck with having someone build you something; I remember some posts on some Amish tramps that fell apart quickly.

W

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
Looking to define the span that the Magnum was offered... and when the diagonal strut on the Magnum may have started. Earliest drawings of the Magnum Wing look to be fall of 1982. The frame drawing is August 1983 (1984 model year). No strut. Looks like a notation in early 1986 that the strut was added.

This is me sailing the Magnum 18 on a photo shoot down in Mexico... 1986 I think. This boat had the diagonal strut. There was a Hotline article about this trip "Burning Daylight". I don't have the copy here to confirm the dates.
:mrgreen: Hi Matt, I Must say the wing tramps in that blue look great, in fact they look Fantastic. Cheers :D

The 21SE was shown in the same brochure with the new longer wing seat that was later used for the SX seat.

...and me sailing the SX with a Chute in the spring of 1989 off Oceanside harbor. John Wilson is my crew here (Hobie Owner, Tony Wilson's son) There are drawings dated fall of 1988, so the SX wing was up and running by 1988-89 (89 Model year).

Funny thing I found... we were calling the SX Wings the "Super Magnum" during the design stage.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for all of the information on the wings. I have a 89 18 Worlds boat that I have added Magnum wings too. It really changed my opinion on continuing to sail catamarans. I love to recreational sail with the wings. I will remove the wings, tabs and studs to race as it only takes about one hour. I just need to figure out how to change the trap wire around for "with wings & without wings".

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

There should be no difference in the way you set your tramp wires & bungees up other than you may be running them to the outside of the wings instead of keeping them on the inside (I prefer to keep mine to the inside). I did see one boat a while back that had the bungee return system setup under the wing tramps as opposed to under the deck lip. Is this how your boat is setup?

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah my kids absolutely LOVE to trap out from the wings!! and if the air is light, the wings do my back a favor as I use them for a backrest!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

DVL wrote:
Thanks for all of the information on the wings. I have a 89 18 Worlds boat that I have added Magnum wings too. It really changed my opinion on continuing to sail catamarans. I love to recreational sail with the wings. I will remove the wings, tabs and studs to race as it only takes about one hour. I just need to figure out how to change the trap wire around for "with wings & without wings".

That might be a little difficult because the length of the shockcord will have to change. I´ve heard it been said that ideal tension is 30% of the length in a resting state, below that the cord will bulge too much and above it there will be too much tension when you´re out on the wire. And I don´t think you can reach a compromise with and without the wings. Maybe adding length to the 1/4" line ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Set your boat up with one continuous bungee on each side for the trap wires and it won't matter if you have your wings on or off. Here is the original post by Harry Murphy posted back in April of 08 which describes the mod. I've done this to my boat and it's 100% better than original. Please note that it may not be class legal.

Tom

Quote:
My trap bungie usually wears at the point where the bungie passes through the "gunwale pass-through" fittings , also if you haven't made your bungies a continuius system on each side you can overstretch them.

I have installed (4) Harken Air blocks on each side .... one ea tied to the padeye at the bow and stern under the lip .... and one at each gunwale pass-through ( I actually tie these to to each other under the gunwale w/ a piece of 1/8" spectra) .... Then I use one long piece of 1/8" bungie (blue of course to match the boats color scheme) starting at the crew's trap I go through the airblock attached at the front gunwale pass-through ... forward to the airblock at the bow ... around that one then aft to the stern airblock .... around that one and up to and through the airblock installed at skippers trap and tie it off to the skipper's trap ....

My trap bungie's last for several years ... this system gives me enough stretch that I have no issues also when I have my Magnum Wings on the boat also .... I never need to re-tie the the bungie system except when the bungie stretchs alittle over time and I need to shorten it

Note: technically the pulley's at the Gunwale Pass-Throughs are not Class Legal. " the bungie must pass the the gunwale fitting" .... since the pulleys are tied as tightly as possible to that point on the boat I feel that I haven't violated the INTENT of the rule of relocating the Traps ... but there are always Sea Lawyers out there who want to win by any means, at any cost .... on or off the water. All I know is my trap bungies last a long time .... the more $$$$'s I save, is more $$$$'s I have to spend on attending regettas !!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Guys,

I'm very pleased that some of my ideas are being used by others .... the sharing of ideas and information is what makes "Hobie Catting" a great time and different from other sailing classes and other sports.

Everyone who has sailed w/ me comments on how nicely my trap system works compared to other Hobie Cats. The traps are always rigged the same w/ or w/o wings since you have enough "stretch". And it is much easier to trap out on the wings when the traps are in front of you to hook into, vs turning around, hooking-up, and trapping out .... (I've tried both ways).

Do you use 1/4" Clevis pins to hold the wings in place???? I use Countersunk 1/4"X20 SS bolts w Nyloc Nuts to hold the wings down ... this prevents the wings from bumping up and down as the boat works over the waves and locks them firmly in place.

But there is just one small detail .....

The last name is spelled .... Murphey

Sorry for the correction, but I know these computer thingies are very sensitive to spelling .... (but the new search engines are getting better) .... and I've posted other H-18 ideas also that maybe useful to some.

The guys on H18Social Forum wanted me to petition the IHCA for the "Magnum Wing Trap/Bungie Modification" (as I call it) but I'm too lazy and do not deal well with bureaucracy ..... at all!!!!!

Mr Thundley,
Thank You for re-posting my idea. I very glad you like the system.

Sincerely
Harry Murphey
H18Mag/ #9458

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

Last edited by Harry Murphey on Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mr. Murphey,
Do you have any pics of your set up, I am more of a visual person.
Thanks,
Tom

1992 Hobie Cat 18 #16943
Hobie Fleet 198, Rapid City, SD

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next