Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

21 July 2009:
We are up to TWENTY THREE Hobie 18's Pre Registered for the 2009 North American Championship event @ Lake Havasu Arizona in November.

As of today, The Hobie 18 Fleet is the largest Preregistered Fleet @ the HAVAMEGA Event.

This is going to be the best attended Hobie 18 North American's in well over 10 years. Come one, Come All, lets keep the momentum going.

Stephen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey Stephen,Will i get protested out with a non -comptip mast and is there close by lodging.Any idea how far from palm springs that is?What part of the lake is the event taking place.It cant be that far from sacramento, I have family in palm springs too.Might have to make the trip.
shawn 82 H18 #8211
Div.3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Shawn,

If you don't have a friend that will loan you a comp tip mast, we WILL find one for you to use.

Currently, (subject to sale) I have a complete spare comp tip mast I can bring with me for you to use.
I also have a spare boat in Excellent condition that is available for charter.

Not very far at all from Palm Springs, a LOT closer than Denver, Vancouver, and Sturgis South Dakota.

The 18 fleet will be sailing right off of the beach @ the Crazy horse campground which is located on the Island.

Visit http://www.havamega.com for all of the details on lodging. There are two hotels listed, both within a couple of miles of the regatta site, and very reasonably priced. Since you are sailing a 18, I'd recommend the Island Inn. I stayed there in February and found it pleasant and clean. November is off season priced at less than $50 per room per night. Call SOON before they get all booked up, there will be over 200 boats at this event.

Stephen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That is sweet.This can be my one provisional race of the season as the rules read.You all can count me in ,crew or not.,
I am an offshore power boat racer ,so havasue is no stranger to me ,i didnt realize they had any wind out there.
Sure is cheaper to hoist a sail than fill a 390 gl tank with 91 octane (1900).I can kill that in 5 hrs with both sticks to the dash. Gotta love wind power.
shawn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Summertime weather patterns make for almost no wind @ Havasu.

Spring and Fall weather patterns make it a GREAT place to sail.

The ameneties @ Havasu that are already in place for the summertime power boat crowd make it an ideal location to hold a Hobie North American Championship Event.

Stephen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Shawn,

And anyone else that is thinking about going, go over to http://www.havamega.com and RSVP that you may be coming. It doesn't cost anything to RSVP, and you don't have to actually pay the entry fee until shortly before the event.

Making a mental commitment to actually GO to a North American Championship event is empowering.

Actually attending a 5 day NAC event is an experience of a lifetime. You will learn more in a week of sailing at a NAC than you will learn in almost a whole season of weekend regatta's. It will amaze you how much you sailing will improve because of the opportunity to learn and practice what you have learned over the course of a 5 day event.

So often we learn something @ a weekend regatta and by the time the next regatta rolls around, we have forgotten it, or have to learn it all over again.

PLUS, a week of sailing in the warm waters of Lake Havasu beats the heck out of almost anything else you can do in the first half of November.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Stephen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey Stephen,thanks for the info,I got all signed up today.If I cant get the whole week off from work can I still compete fri.,sat.,and sun. or is it all setup on a progressive ladder.Found out Rich and Jeremy will be there ,sounds like a BLAST. Cant wait.
shawn