Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt - Thanks for the follow-up posts & link to other thread. Once the angle is set, the pins should be snug and not rotate freely within hull, correct? Are there any documented instances of properly installed new style pins breaking, or is it just the 30 year old never been replaced & improperly installed ones that snap?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes there are documented cases of the newer pins breaking.
(Happened to me on a 2004 boat @ the 2007 NAC's)

However, in all fairness to the factory, failure of the newer pin could have been a case of improper orientation of the pin.

When tightening the new pin, just make it snug enough that it does not rotate freely. In my opinion, anything more is overtightening.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:29 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Yes there are documented cases of the newer pins breaking.
(Happened to me on a 2004 boat @ the 2007 NAC's)

That would not have been the "New" pin. These just hit production in the past couple of years.

I have no reports of a new pin failing.

It will be difficult to maintain the pin rotation exactly. Maybe loc tite.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Matt, Is there a visual difference between the "rolled pins" and the "cut pins"? In other words, if I buy replacement Anchor Pins from a dealer, how do I know I'm not getting the old style pins?

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:56 am 
Site Admin

Old pins: The threads are groves cut into the diameter of the pin, so peaks of the threads are equal to the pin diameter. You can also see where the thread cutting tool leaves a nick at the top end.

New "rolled thread" pins: The threads are pressed into the pin. The tool presses in and the thread peaks squeeze out. The thread peaks are higher than the pin diameter. The pin diameter also is smaller that the old pins.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have attempted to instal new shroud anchor pins today and found it impossible to thread the supplied nut onto the pin.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have found an old nut that seems to fit so hopefully the mast will stay up this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You're asking for trouble if you use the wrong nut on your shroud anchor bolt. Lot's of load there and it will fail at the worst possible time.

I believe the anchor bolt/nut is a Standard (UNC) thread - 5/16"-18. And more than likely grade 5 or higher (i.e., stronger than you're average hardware store variety).

Most likely the threads on the nut are damaged, so the first thing I would do would be to check that the treads are not 'buggered up'. Then confirm what the treads are on the nut and the anchor bolt by comparing to fasteners with known threads.

In any case, make sure you use the correct fastening hardware. I would not trust my rigging to an old nut that kinda' sorta' hopefully fits.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

By "old" I mean that the nut was previously used on the boat so it is of the correct grade of steel

The nut that came with the pin was about half the height/thread of this one. I was able to start threading it onto the pin but it would become difficult (read damn near impossible) after about 2 turns. The thread on the anchor pin was also damaged by trying to get it this far.

Would it be possible that the thread on the nut be different to the thread on the pin ? Is there a difference in the thread between the old and new pins ?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There shouldn't be any difference between the threads on old and new pins- the fact that your old nut fit on the new pin is evidence of that.

Almost certainly they sent you the wrong nut for the anchor pin. Either that or the nut they sent you has damaged threads - hold the nut up to light and inspect the threads, they should be clean. Come to think of it, I have never received any nut when I've gotten new pins, I've always just reused the old nut or anchor bar.

In any case, DO NOT force the nut onto the anchor pin, you'll just mess up the threads and end up destroying a $25 part. The nut should thread on easily. If you've already damaged the threads on the anchor pin, I'd suggest running it throuh a die to clean up the threads before installing the nut. If you've really buggered up the threads to the point that you can't even start a die, you may be able to cut off the tip of the anchor pin with a hacksaw to get to fresh threads (be sure to clean up your cut with a file to take off the sharp edges). Make sure you leave enough of the pin remaining that you are fully engaged on the nut when you install the pin.

This is not a part you want to take chances with.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

For the Hobie 18, it is 5/16-18. #8050311 NUT 5/16-18 NYLOCK

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There is the problem

I ordered part #8050321 for the nut !

I wonder where I found that number.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

what is the part number ?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:10 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
#8050311 NUT 5/16-18 NYLOCK

The old number was a "heavy" (thicker nut). Just use the number listed above.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So first really nice weekend of the year, had all new rigging and anchor pins rounded up anlong with some other bits that needed replacing, headed to the lake (2 hour drive) with visions of putting the H18 on the lift today for another great year of sailing. After 2 hours of tinkering we had everything looking good, then as I am looking at the mast base, I could see that the rivets were coming a bit loose and dolphin striker post seemed a bit on the loose side. (Remember the dimple on top of the cross bar from begining of post)

So not wanting to experience any additional major sailing carnage this year, I drilled out the rivets and pulled the mast base off for a look see, and there front cross bar is fractured from dolphin striker post to both rivets, and then from rivets further arround. I now have visions of the thing breaking off while under heavy air on trapeze and having the mast kick out when it does. So now - the search for a new forward cross bar begins. Anyone in the midwest happen to have a parts boat around?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I lost an anchor pin this weekend.. The heavy spreader came flying by and laid open my son's shoulder. It scared him an my wife and me to death.. I hate it as my wife will never go on it again.. I ordered new pins.. 27 dollars each...