Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello. My "Hotstick" died. The only "replacement" I see is the $320 F99502360 Tiger stick. It's supposedly lighter but more fragile. I cannot find the dimensions for it. A French website lists an extension made by Hobie : https://www.paris-voile.com/sticks/5838 ... maran.html . This one has a minimum length 9" longer than my dead hotstick which is not a desirable trait for me.
Questions:
1) Are there any other options (other than DIY) ? I bought a cheaper aluminum tiller extension once but it did not last more than a dozen sails
2) What are the dimensions of the Tiger tiller extension (Part F99502360 )?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

Does it spin and not lock?

I would try fixing it. You can paint epoxy along the length of the internal high point. This could help it lock again.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi. It spins and does not lock because the inner tube had a lengthwise split about 1.5' in length. Unfortunately I threw it away when I got the aluminum replacement. Now that I think about it, I should have joined the forum earlier.
Anyone know how short the Hobie Tiger telescoping extension is?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You could also try the Ronstan Battlestick. Available in fixed alloy, telescopic alloy or fixed length carbon. I use the fixed length carbon. Buy the longest length and trim about 6” off it.

The main reason for tiller extension breakages is from the tiller flicking back and getting caught under the tiller arms behind the rear beam. I lowered my tiller arms so they are almost touching the deck when in the fully down position. This helps stop the tiller extension being able to physically get under the tiller arms.

Also, the shorter the tiller extension the better. It is usually the tip that touches or catches in the water that then flicks it backwards. If the total length is minimum then there is less chance of it catching in the waves.

Enjoy.

Boat name: 18@heart
http://www.hobie18.fun
https://www.facebook.com/Hobie18catamaran/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John Forbes wrote:
I lowered my tiller arms so they are almost touching the deck when in the fully down position.

I take it you have the new style steering?

The old style doesn't seem to allow for an adjustment to this, except maybe bending the tiller arms. Come to think of it, one of my tiller arms is much higher than the other, which I assume was the result of someone trying to unjam a stuck rudder cam at one point :lol:

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:36 am 
Site Admin

62" is the shipping dimension, so about 61" when compressed.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SabresfortheCup wrote:
John Forbes wrote:
I lowered my tiller arms so they are almost touching the deck when in the fully down position.

I take it you have the new style steering?

The old style doesn't seem to allow for an adjustment to this, except maybe bending the tiller arms. Come to think of it, one of my tiller arms is much higher than the other, which I assume was the result of someone trying to unjam a stuck rudder cam at one point :lol:

Hi Mike,
I have an old boat with the old style castings. I like thme because there are no cams to roll. I took the alloy tube (with the upper casting still attached) and had them rolled with more curve in it by my local marine shop who has a pipe bender. Doing this helps save your tiller extension. It also helps tuck the cross bar down behind the rear beam for less windage. Lowering the cross bar also means the tiller extension connection joint is lower and thus the angle of the tiller extension tip out at the helms person on the trapeze is higher and therefore has less chance of hitting the water. Mine are about 15mm off the deck in the fullly down position.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My FX-4 hot stick is wonderful.
Last year, it began to 'slip' and I painted the inside edge with epoxy, which worked well.

Are these hot sticks class legal for H18 and H16?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The two causes of hotstick failure that I’ve come across are 1) the lip on the inner tube wears away or 2) the inner tube splits lengthwise. Both of these conditions can generally be repaired. If the lip wears away, you can paint on a layer of epoxy to build it back up. This takes some trial and error because if you build it too thick, the outer tube will bind. So you may need to sand down or add a second layer of epoxy to get the build up just right. If the inner tube splits lengthwise, you can disassemble the hotstick by pulling out the aluminim fitting at the end (it is held in place by a couple roll pins which must be driven out) and epoxying in an aluminim tube to act a a reinforcing sleeve. The aluminum sleeve should be cut to the same length as the split and will keep the inner fiberglass tube from spreading open when you lock and unlock the hotstick.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The H18 class rule on tiller extensions is unrestricted. You can use whatever you like. Alloy, carbon, plumbers pipe, electricians tube, etc.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Lowes has a twist lock pole for $13.00.

Item # 1070362 Model # 9248
Mr. LongArm Twist-Lok Aluminum 4.3-ft to 8-ft Telescoping Threaded Extension Pole

I might try starting with that, at least to use the lock mechanism.

Cut to length, and slide a Fiberglass tube over the outer, and another inside the inner. Maybe OK?