Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Matt,
Your H18 FAQ says the Hobie 18 SE has more sail area (240sqft) than the SX (220SqFt).

Is that right?
If so, which sail is bigger?

Is the SE and the "regular" Hobie 18 the same.... both with the 28 foot mast?

I've got an SX, but comtip is heavy and loose and I'm thinking to put a standard mast and sail w/no comptip.....
And this looks even more attractive if it would gain me 20 sqft of sail area.

Please explain... thanks for your help.
Rob.
H14T & H18SX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

RobPatt wrote:
Matt,
Your H18 FAQ says the Hobie 18 SE has more sail area (240sqft) than the SX (220SqFt).
Is that right?

Yup. I know it seems weird, but the numbers in the FAQ are correct.
RobPatt wrote:
If so, which sail is bigger?

If you mean which sail has more square footage, the standard sail does by 20 feet.
If you mean which sail develops more power, well, good question. I believe the SX sail is what is called a 'high aspect ratio" sail which means it's taller and skinnier than a normal sail. How much more power it develops, if any, will have to be answered by folks smarter than me.........

RobPatt wrote:
Is the SE and the "regular" Hobie 18 the same.... both with the 28 foot mast?

The only real difference between the regular or classic Hobie 18 and a "SE" model was black anodized aluminum and colored tramp and sails. The masts are the same length, thought the SE mast is black.

RobPatt wrote:
I've got an SX, but comtip is heavy and loose and I'm thinking to put a standard mast and sail w/no comptip.....
And this looks even more attractive if it would gain me 20 sqft of sail area.

Yanking out a loose comptip and resetting it is not a big deal on a normal H18 mast, just did mine, but I don't know if there is anything peculiar for a SX mast.

Hope this helps,

Mike Bennett
Madera, CA
1981 H18
1974 H14t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:02 am 
Site Admin

If the CompTip is heavy... it could have water in it.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think the measurement is correct. The foot of the SX and SE sail are the same, the SX is 18" taller. Where is there less cloth? They also share battens, if I'm not mistaken. I don't see any way the SX carries less sail than the SE unless the jib is smaller, which I don't believe it is.
Now a Tiger sail is smaller than the SX sail as the foot is 12-18" shorter, and the height the same. I just don't see how you could maintain foot size and increase luff length and end up with a smaller sail. The leech would have to hourglass mid-way up, wouldn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ncmbm wrote:
I don't think the measurement is correct. The foot of the SX and SE sail are the same, the SX is 18" taller. Where is there less cloth? They also share battens, if I'm not mistaken. I don't see any way the SX carries less sail than the SE unless the jib is smaller, which I don't believe it is.
Now a Tiger sail is smaller than the SX sail as the foot is 12-18" shorter, and the height the same. I just don't see how you could maintain foot size and increase luff length and end up with a smaller sail. The leech would have to hourglass mid-way up, wouldn't it?

Ok, looking at the catalog, they do not share batons or shrouds. Not only are the batons different lengths, there is one more baton on the 18 than on the SX. The boom is the same, so there very well could be a different cut allowing for more SF on the shorter main.

Sam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Agreed... which brings me back to the FAQ that says the SE has more sail area than the SX. I don't get it?

Anyway, ordered my white pentenx squaretop from Chip.... can't wait. Gonna be good.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This would make since in relation to portsmouth rating differences between the SE and the SX, SX having the higher number. And wings slow the boat down, SX is required to be sailed with wings. The shape of the wing is more important than the sq ft of the wing. Higher aspect vertical cut sail with less area is faster than a horizontal cut larger sail in theory.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RobPatt wrote:
Agreed... which brings me back to the FAQ that says the SE has more sail area than the SX. I don't get it?

Anyway, ordered my white pentenx squaretop from Chip.... can't wait. Gonna be good.

Ask Chip why the SX has less sail area. After all, he worked in Hobie's loft for something like 5 years.