Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone,

we bought our Tiger one year ago and we use it since then quite frequently.

:P The good thing: We keep our Tiger close to our home tied down on a beach front. At the weekend it normally takes me 15 min from my door to my boat.

:evil: The bad thing: After arrival at he beach it normally takes us more than 1hrs to unwrap and rigg the boat and get it on the water - and vice versa after sailing. (A H16 would be ready to sail in 20 min).

I love my Tiger on the water and I love the spin and all those trim and tuning devices - but I hate to waste 2hrs on each sailing day to rigg and unrigg it. Are we just too slow or is this normal? :oops:

As UV rays are pretty strong in our area (South China Sea), we have to derigg the boat everytime and put the boat cover on. Only if we go out both saturday and sunday, we would leave the spin in the trumpet and the jib rolled up on the boat and go out next day again.

:?: My question: Has anyone experience with leaving those items for longer time on the boat. What protection do you use? Actually my idea is just to take off the main and put the boat cover on and leave jib and spin protected on the boat.

Hobie offers a "snorkle" for H16 and H18 jibs. Has anybody something similar for the Tiger? And how does it work? And how does the Jib like it to be stored that way?

Would it ruin the spin quickly if I just leave it in the trumpet and cover the trumpet with something tailormade to protect it from rain and sun. Would I need to protect the lower outlet of the trumpet as well?

And how about the spin and jib sheets? Are they affected by ageing from UV as well or can I leave them on?

Maybe someone has a good idea!

Cheers

Lazy Seabear :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

seebaer:

I am also a sailor who wants to have more time on the water. I keep my boat at the Yacht Club, on the trailer, mast up rudders on. I take off the main, jib off and spinnaker if I am not going to see the boat for a couple of days. I do not disconnect the spinnaker halyards or sheets. I take off the vectron line (spinnaker pole stays) off the caribeeners that are attached to the bridle tangs after I have loosened the line that keeps the pole tight on the bridle. Then I take the pin out of the pole attachment to the crossbar and put the whole thing in the catbox on the trailer. This takes about 3 minutes. Taking the jib down is about 4 minutes, including the rolling of it. Main takes about 4 minutes including loosening the batons and rolling. I do not take the rudders off, I cover them. The cover for my boat takes about 3 minutes to put on. I can do all of this in the reverse order, to set up in about 15 minutes. I have timed it. The way I trailer my boat my crew and I can get it from trailer to sailing in 43 minutes. Again I timed it. I do not undo my spinnaker from all the lines and I keep it packed in the snuffer. Lines that are attached to the boat as well as the sails hang out of the box. For trailering I do take off the rudders.

Hope this helps,
Dan