Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have been reading some of the forum topics but have a few quetions of my own. I have the older mast step assembly. (two rivets) is this something I should be concerned about? Does anyone have any good ideas about setting the mast by myself,,,, this thing is about a 100 feet long if you try by yourself :(

I race on a J24 (crew),,, I have gotten the mast up (2 people later) on my Hobie,,,, but the for stay & side stays have so much more play in them than on the J24,, is this normal? How tight should they be? When you are used to a mast that is rock solid and all of a sudden you have a mast that moves around,,,,,, I am afraid to bring this thing out on the water :?

I am not a stupid person,,,, BUT WOW!!! I feel like a 5 year old trying to ride a bike for the first time by myself :(

Thanx all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am not a stupid person,,,, BUT WOW!!! I feel like a 5 year old trying to ride a bike for the first time by myself.

Beach Cats are different than a monohull, Once you get used to them you will feel the need for speed all the time.

OK, The mast takes two people to raise, unless you get a gin pole arangement (I could never get mine to work). Used parts are abundent to upgrade the mast step. Get the anchor plates if you don't have them at the shrouds and front beam. This will keep from tearing the hulls apart. The side stays are loose when the mast is just put up. Hook the boom & mainsheet on and travel out to each side and tighten the mainsheet. Tighten the shroud by one pin on each side, this will tighten up the rig.

Best bet is to go to a dealer or a regatta put on by a local Hobie fleet or CRAW. The sailors will be glad to help you figure everything out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanx so much for the reply,,,,, this all helps!!!